PDA

View Full Version : Refridgerator woes! HELP!

vping
08-29-2006, 12:32 PM
I remodled my kitchen 5 years ago and installed all new appliances. Got up this morning to a wet kitchen floor. Seems that the fridge stopeed working. Wife called up for warranty info and wouldn't ya know it just ran out.

Does anyone know how to check the copressor on the fridge to see if that is the problem? I hear that if it is, I might as well buy a new one. I want to take a look at it tonight to see of I can figure it out.

This is 2 G's I was not planning on spending right now.

Any help would be appreciated.

R6MGS
08-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Applicances just arn't wat they used to be.....I had a cheapo GE fridge for 20 years or so....never a problem. Got a new Kitchenaid stainless one back in December of last year....First one was delivered damaged, Once I got the replacement it just doesn't cool like the old one used to. Even with the temperature as low as it will go....My old GE was capable of turning drinks into slushies!

martx-5
08-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Just make sure that it isn't something stupid like the door switch NOT turning the interior light off. There's enough heat from that bulb to to overcome a constantly running compressor. Ask me how I know this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

SilentUnicorn
08-29-2006, 06:08 PM
you could also pull the fridge out and make sure all the coils on the back are clean. if there are any fans back there clean them as well.

mark

vping
08-29-2006, 07:05 PM
Did the cleaning coils thing. Gonna go check the light but both fridge & freezer are on the fritz. It's a side by side and there are two bulbs, one for each. Both switches going at the same time?

Harry_Ward
08-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Try this link if no good go to Yahoo or google and type in the brand of your fridge and troubleshoot.

http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appliance/refrigerator/diagrefrigerator.php

Scott_Hower
08-29-2006, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Got up this morning to a wet kitchen floor. This is 2 G's I was not planning on spending right now.

Any help would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar situation about a month ago with our Sub Zero. Went to make my AM coffee and traipsed through a puddle on the floor. The evaporator coil had sprung a slow leak and the unit was low on refrigerant. The fridge coil was icing up and it was slowly melting, which dripped onto the floor.

Might want to call for service and then fight the company for a "goodwill" warranty claim. They'll usually pay it if it is within a few weeks/months of expiration.

vping
08-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Guy came & said it was an electronic control board of sorts that controlled the condensor. It's cold now and if have any more trouble he said to give him a call.

I'll have the MRS call about the "goodwill" thing. She might be able to get through to them. Women are more calm and can get places where I seem to get hot under the collar and start getting angry. Usually does not work for me.

JamesWilson
08-30-2006, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Usually does not work for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

Doesn't usually work for anyone.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

I always try to be nice and polite, and use a little humor too.

It works, sometimes....

ObiRichKanobi
08-30-2006, 07:17 PM
You can catch more flies with sugar than vinegar. When in this situation, let them know that you really love the product, but that it failed (and may have been in that process before the warranty ended). And that you'd really love to let everyone you know that they took such good care of you.

zblu
08-31-2006, 08:51 AM
Got a fridgidaire imperial frostfree, must be 40
+ yrs old now, has the badge on the front says made by general motors in detroit!, just about to die tho, wonder if gm wants it back for their museum!

R6MGS
08-31-2006, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Got a fridgidaire imperial frostfree, must be 40
+ yrs old now, has the badge on the front says made by general motors in detroit!, just about to die tho, wonder if gm wants it back for their museum!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif My mom has a dryer about that old....you just don't find stuff that well built anymore.

jlaird
08-31-2006, 01:50 PM
My Kenmore washer and dryer are over 30 years old. Have done a bit of maintance but very little.

anthony7777
08-31-2006, 09:18 PM
vping, 2 g's what ya gunna replace it with a "viking" or " wolf" unit ? sounds kinda steep to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

wkilleffer
08-31-2006, 09:31 PM
When we first got married, her parents gave us a Maytag washer and dryer that were about the same age of my wife, and we were both around 27 at the time. They still worked, trouble was that the washer was so lazy that you were taking your chances if you washed more than a couple of shirts and pairs of underwear at a time. We left them behind in the house we rented.

When my great-grandmother died when I was around 10 or 11, we inherited her Fridgidaire refrigerator, which had a GM badge on it like one mentioned in this thread. It got to the point that the compressor rattled every time it started up. My parents replaced it a couple of years ago with a GE with an ice and water dispenser that uses less than half of the electricity. But there was something nice about that old fridge.

Our current Kenmore washer and dryer are about 12 or 13 years old, and seem to be ok. There are better and more modern ones out there, but these will be around here 'till they die.

jayhawk
09-01-2006, 08:18 AM
An old 'frige repairman-turned salesman told me that in order to make them more "energy efficient" the compressors are now smaller and have to work more. Dunno if that's true but what he said about reduced life expectancy seems on track.

Scott_Hower
09-01-2006, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
vping, 2 g's what ya gunna replace it with a "viking" or " wolf" unit ? sounds kinda steep to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Multiply that by a factor of 3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

vping
09-01-2006, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Multiply that by a factor of 3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! The unit I was looking at was only a Kitchen aid. After the kids are outta that house & me & the mrs contemplate a move would I think about the Viking or a Gaggenau. Probably not though. You get just as good an appliance with KA as you do those "other" models. The kitchen is the center of the house and we entertain a lot but I can cook the pants off most people I know with a wooden stick & some charcoal.
Current kitchen cost a small fortune but 3 kids make a mess and stratches dings and dents inadvertantly happen. If I had to do it again with kids, I'd spend less seeing the results.
We spent a lot because I original kitchen had original appliances and was small at 7x10. The fridge was a "college" fridge but keep in mind I had 2 kids at the time with this setup.

Scott_Hower
09-01-2006, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You get just as good an appliance with KA as you do those "other" models.

[/ QUOTE ]

SWMBO *had* to have a SubZero fridge when we built our house. I could have bought a nicely restored B for what we're using to cool our food. no:

R6MGS
09-01-2006, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SWMBO *had* to have a SubZero fridge when we built our house. I could have bought a nicely restored B for what we're using to cool our food. no:

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif...been there done that....I got more $$ in the kitchen than in the garage!

vping
09-01-2006, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif...been there done that....I got more $$ in the kitchen than in the garage!

[/ QUOTE ]
I've got to be grateful for a patient wife. I have way more $$ in the garage than in the Kitchen. The garage itself was added on when we did the addition and I went on a Major $$$ ebay/ car & bike spending spree. I designed the garage to hold quite a few cars but not as much as Tony. The next house will have a bigger garage as must now compete with the Barnhills err I mean the "Jones'"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

anthony7777
09-01-2006, 05:42 PM
i think it was "tony" that coined the phrase "man does not live on bread alone he occasionally requires an m.g." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jlaird
09-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Nothing in MGs to cause his Blood Sugar to rise. Sounds like a reasonable addiction.

R6MGS
09-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Welp, I've got 5 years of work left....Then I can move outta the city, and find a place where I can have waaay more in the garage than in the remainer of the house.

sparkydave
09-05-2006, 10:00 AM
FWIW, I got more knowledge of dead refrigerators than I'd like to know. I had a few conk out because of broken defrost timers or clogged defrost drains. Is the compressor actually running? These would run, but the evaporator had turned into a block of ice and would not put out any cold air. Oh, and as for the one with the clogged drain, all I can say is never unplug a refrigerator and leave it closed up. Mold thrives in moist, dark environments. That was a nasty one to clean up, but I didn't realize the mold had also clogged the drain until a few months after I put it back in service.