PDA

View Full Version : What's on your garage floor

jlaird
08-26-2006, 01:38 PM
I have seen many pics of garages here, and some of the floors are outstanding. Clean and painted? with somthing.

Do you have a pic and what did you use from where?

Guess who is thinking about doing something with his soonish.

tony barnhill
08-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Grease stains, parts laying everywhere, sawdust, leaves that blew in when doors were up.....

jlaird
08-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Gesh, maybe time for some Rustolum Garage System stuff. Two part.

SilentUnicorn
08-26-2006, 06:21 PM
i have a FLOOR? hmmm i keep a path beaten down, from the front to the back...air hoses and extensions cords keep sprouting up over and over..

mark

tony barnhill
08-26-2006, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gesh, maybe time for some Rustolum Garage System stuff. Two part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someday, Jack, someday......

Steve_S
08-26-2006, 07:12 PM
I've tried anmy products and finally found one hard as nails. It's the same stuff they use in aircraft hangers. I've poured brake fluid and solvents on it and it simply wipes up.

http://www.mgnuts.com/garage/DSCN2681.jpg

kyreb1862
08-26-2006, 07:31 PM
I think my garage floor is concrete! Haven't seen it in awhile. Maybe I'll excavate down to it one day to see for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Baz
08-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Mostly cardboard. That way I can trace 'spots' on the cardboard to where they come from on the car and not upset the real flooring and the mrs.

wkilleffer
08-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks for all the tips. They've given me alot to think about in my cave. My garage is one-car, attached to my 1950's house. The floor's concrete, and the walls are black and brown fibreboard. It has its original single light fixture that's nowhere near bright enough. Someone's also added a small, but inadaquate, flourescent fixture under the area where the garage door goes when it's up.

How hard is it to get the floor ready for painting? Are the paint kits pretty easy to use?

Thanks,

R6MGS
08-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Steve, I am going to have dreams tonight about your garage.

What I have on mine? CARS!...I have a 2 car garage with 4 cars in it....that leaves me about 4 feet of space infront of the workbench to work with....I actually did paint the floor with a concrete paint when the house was built(1986) but you'd never know now....It has completely vanished. I've heard about the new improved floor treatments, but I am worried about the salt that rides in with my Jag in the winter. So right now I have a blue tarp ducktaped down covering 3/4 of the floor(where the MG's are parked) and bare concrete under the Jag....I like the tarp because it prevents moisture from coming up in the winter.

Baz
08-26-2006, 09:27 PM
I used drylok stuff for my garage floor, it required 'cleaning' which meant to me, go crazy with the leaf blower.
It is actually waterproof basement paint (specific for concrete) as opposed to expensive garage floor paint. I discovered by accident that it doesn't do too well with gasoline, but oil and drips and coolant just wipes up, only needed two quick coats with a roller and could park on it in less than 6 hours. Fills in little cracks too.

jlaird
08-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Google Rustolum garage system for the two part paint and how to put it on. Seems fine and not too bad at all.

sideache
08-27-2006, 12:00 AM
I used Quickrete Epoxy. Fairly easy to clean.

http://www.sideache.net/images/GarageMini.jpg

http://www.cliffcramp.com/images/BE_Resto_Eng.jpg

DrEntropy
08-27-2006, 12:19 AM
I don't dare say... there's apparently a gravity storm centered here. Looks like concrete but there's some "bits" stuck in. Sorta look like Lotus parts and Sears radial arm saws at the same time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Basil
08-27-2006, 12:21 AM
On my garage floor? At the moment, everything that used to be in my "office" (converted old bedroom). I'm in the process of laying down oak floor in here and had to first move everything out! (If anyone tells you that laying a solid wood floor is easy, they're lying! (now you know where I've been lately)

Basil

DrEntropy
08-27-2006, 12:25 AM
Two words: "Ceramic Tile!"

sideache
08-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Drop a block on the ceramic tile and it's not pretty any more.

DrEntropy
08-27-2006, 01:32 AM
Vat iss dis "pretty" ?!!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

aeronca65t
08-27-2006, 05:41 AM
I swept off my shop floor a month ago and "repainted" it with a mix of "whatever was around" Latex paint.
Five different cans all poured into one bucket.
It's sorta "bluish". Rough and ready but anway, free.

anthony7777
08-27-2006, 07:33 AM
jlaird,theres a bunch of systems out today that from what ive seen are excellent ranging from as low as $90.00-$400.00 for a typical size garage,mine however is simply painted with gray paint but i can tell you two things to consider since having been involved with a rather large aircraft hanger floor finish during its renovation, 1- anti slip agent of some kind is a must it comes in a variety of coarsness/texture and two-if your going to have a specific area around a work bench/table used for cleaning small parts or assembling things requiring several hours standing in that location you must have some type of padding under your feet i.e, washable rubber backed mats, left over carpeting you can later dispose of etc, this will relieve your feet,ankles,knees,back shoulders,and neck.dispite my reccomendations to do test spots the owners of the hanger they decided to paint the floor white with a two part epoxy system without using any antislip additive it was challenging to walk across this floor,when it was dry it was so smooth your feet stuck to it because there was no air between the floor and the bottom of your shoe causing a suction cup effect,when it was wet you had an ice skating rink, the white color reflected a lot of light and made it easy to find anything one might drop, those were good things, but it needed to be mopped ten times more often or it looked like **** real quick, they then went to the next extreme, they added something that was more coarse then beach sand to the next batch,now you couldnt kneel on it and you had to lift your feet real high to get away from it and made it more difficult to keep clean because a mop would catch on it and sqeegies couldnt be pushed or pull across it.they got it right the third time round, turned out the floor finnish was just about the most expensive item of the renovation. what the heck it was an oil company they could afford it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Basil
08-27-2006, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Two words: "Ceramic Tile!"

[/ QUOTE ]
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

jlaird
08-27-2006, 08:32 AM
My floor is bare at the moment with rubber interlocking pads in front of the work bench to stand on. They were from Home Depot and work quite well, are gray in color and about 1/2 inch thick.

The bigest prob with two part paint is the 7 day wait to cure 100% as I see it. Going to have a lot of stuff in the driveway under tarp I guess. Although I have a lot of stuff in the garage most of it goes on Miss Agatha sooner rather than later I hope and the remainder is not on the floor really. Only big things stay on the floor and I can move them easly as they mostly have wheels.

Harry_Ward
08-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Scented kitty litter, usual TR3 drippings and droppings from engine and tranny although neither the engine or tranny oil level seems to drop significantly. Would really like to put in those black and white 12 x 12 inch 50's style squares. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any locally without some kind of other grain color in them.

Steve S,

Whats the stuff called you are using... Looks like you could go ice skating in there it's so clean. I know... It's probably one of those military secrets and if you told us...

Ed_K
08-27-2006, 11:28 AM
" (If anyone tells you that laying a solid wood floor is easy, they're lying! (now you know where I've been lately) Basil "

Did the same 22 months ago. My left thumbnail is almost back to normal. It is good that you live in a dry climate when it comes to installing hardware floors. Isn't undercutting your door frames a lot of fun ? %& Not !!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Steve_S
08-27-2006, 12:36 PM
My paint came from here: http://www.apfepoxy.com/ but was delivered and installed by a company who screwed it up royally. I would recommend doing it yourself despite the warranty a flooring company offers.

anthony7777
08-28-2006, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My floor is bare at the moment with rubber interlocking pads in front of the work bench to stand on. They were from Home Depot and work quite well, are gray in color and about 1/2 inch thick.

The bigest prob with two part paint is the 7 day wait to cure 100% as I see it. Going to have a lot of stuff in the driveway under tarp I guess. Although I have a lot of stuff in the garage most of it goes on Miss Agatha sooner rather than later I hope and the remainder is not on the floor really. Only big things stay on the floor and I can move them easly as they mostly have wheels.

[/ QUOTE ]-------why not do half the floor at a time? just split it down the middle, keep as much of your stuff as you can on one side while the other side is drying,once that side is fully dry just move the patrs etc. over and do the other half. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

jlaird
08-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Kind of thought of that but I might get a mark or line where the overlap was?

Steve_S
08-29-2006, 12:47 PM
If you feather it, you can probably prevent a seam. And if there is a visible mark, then move everything to the sides and put a coat down the middle, and feather it off also. I'm betting it could be done.

It's much easier to do it all at once, but storing all your 'crap' is the hard part. While I rebuilt my garage I rented a "Mini Mobile" storage unit and kept everything in there.

R6MGS
08-29-2006, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't worry about a line....It's a garage floor!

jlaird
08-29-2006, 02:53 PM
But with a clean garage, new floor and nice toys can carpet be far behind. How about runners.

jaybird
08-29-2006, 08:11 PM
The floor was concrete years ago. I'm fairly certain it's still there. Under oil stains, leaves, dirt, tools, cars, bikes, leftover baseballs, softballs, bats, gloves, spikes, enough leftover parts to build a car, tools, dirt, leaves, ummm, more tools and dirt and miscellaneous junk.

Prolly should clean it out one of these days huh? Maybe wash the floor, paint it purdy and hang cutesy garage signs in it?

Then the cycle begins again...

jlaird
08-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Maybe you could use a snow shove?

tiga2
08-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Carpet! Thats right, I got some cheap indoor /outdoor stuff, best thing I ever did, garage stays warm, its all very civilized. And since I have a Chevy in my Healey I dont have to worry about leaks!!!
But then again, I havent spilled any major liquids yet!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

drooartz
08-29-2006, 10:53 PM
I've actually got a few carpet bits on my floor, near my work bench. Gives something mildly cushy to stand on. The rest of the floor is oil-stained concrete. Maybe someday it will be painted, along with the walls and ceiling...

R6MGS
08-29-2006, 11:17 PM
I use peices of carpet by the work bench, both in the basement and outside....Also great for lying down on when ever you have to slide under a car.

jlaird
08-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Home Depot has lovely 1/2 inch rubber kind of stuff that interlocks and is great for in front of workbenchs.

tony barnhill
08-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Look at this garage...gravel floor with Oriental rugs by each car:

http://www.toadhallcars.com/CarPhotosWeb/garage1.jpg

AUSMHLY
08-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Hey Jack,

See your still researching. Good for you. I did too.
Why did I choose Rustoleum? Easy to find at local stores. Got mine at Home Depot. Inexpensive. Easy to install. Paint chips make it look nicer than others that are one color, mostly grey. Plus the paint chips become the anti-slip.

Good idea, yes use the rubber mat. You can find similar stuff at auto stores like, AutoZone, Kragen, PepBoys. They also interlock.

While were on the topic of redoing the garage, here's a list of what a finish garage would look like:

Painted walls
Painted ceiling
Painted floor
Work bench with cabinets
Interlocking rubber mat in front of work bench
Tools
Proper lighting
Stool with some company name on the seat
Monthly calendar with scantly dressed women holding tools they have no idea how to use.

(See attached photo of my rustoleum floor. sorry, no calendar, as of yet.)

Cheers, Roger

jlaird
08-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Well, I have: popcorn ceiling.
Painted walls, need redone.
All kinds of drawers and cabnets, the old kitchen ones. Worksurface needs something on it.
Interlocking mats in front of workbench, about 10 ft long.
Only three, two tube lights.
Lots and lots of tools.
No calendar.
No finish on floor.

Lots to think about and do before too awful long.

R6MGS
08-30-2006, 01:31 PM
I notice there is not Oriental rug around the MG....wonder why? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

jlaird
08-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Some folks too smart for that.