PDA

View Full Version : No longer looking for a job...

kennypinkerton
08-25-2006, 11:10 AM
...but I've gotten a couple good interviews. Best one was yesterday... The guy actually told me I was tops on his list of applicants. I'm waiting for a call back from him after he does my motor vehicle driving record - which is squeaky clean by the way. Excellent pay too - about $3 more an hour than what I get now. Work Monday through Friday during the day. On-call one week a month (during the evenings) for emergencies. The job - Working for a small water company with 1500 customers. They're gonna help me get a CDL, and a state water certification, and train me how to operate a backhoe and a dumptruck. The main reason he liked me over everyone else, is that I've had the same last job for over 10 years. He wants someone that's going to stick around. Sounds like a very good job to me, and it's with a small growing company - Only 4 or 5 co-workers to get to know. And I get to work outside, but without a business suit on for a change. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One other job that seemed promising (they sent me for a drug test) was loading the new mercedes SUVs onto trains... less pay an hour than I make now, but lots of overtime. But, it's been 2 weeks since the test, and I haven't heard back from them (but I don't take drugs), so I don't know if they were just putting me into a pool where they draw from when someone quits, or what happened with them.

Oh, and thanks to steve for the contact in birmingham, but the closest job they had was 50+ miles away from me. I do appreciate the help though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

So far, I must have put in at least 50 applications, and mailed/faxed my resume to another 15 or so companies. 2 interviews outta the whole bunch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I didn't realize how difficult it was to get a decent paying job these days... Of course this is the first time in 13 years that I've actually had to look for one either.

Wish me luck. I'm really hoping for the local water company job. After the interview yesterday, I feel really good about it.

martx-5
08-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Sounds like this water company job might be the one. Since my son got out of college for forensics, he has been looking for a federal job in that field because it's so expensive to live in the metro NY area. He's working for the NY City police dept. in their forensics lab now, but the pay isn't as much as the private pharmacutical lab he used to work at. He took a cut in pay for the criminal lab experience. It's not easy to find a job these days. He's been on interviews all over the country, from Colorado to Texas to Virginia and lots of points in between. In a few weeks he has another interview in Rhode Island.

He'll eventually get something he's happy with, and so will you. Just keep plugging away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

JamesWilson
08-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Good luck.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

anthony7777
08-25-2006, 02:32 PM
kenny, appears promising! sounds like youd truely enjoy working outdoors without a tie on i know i do, i just came across something through a buddy of mine if this doesnt work out or you need something to hold you over while your waiting,i believe this company is set up across the u.s. it wont hurt to make a call to find out!ill give you a contact number and discription of the job via. a private message. good luck in the meantime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

SilentUnicorn
08-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Hey Kenny,

Good luck ! i know what it like waiting for the phone to ring. I have a pretty good job but am always on the lookout for something better, Just so happens that one has sorta dropped in my lap via a family member. So i sent off my resume to the contact individual, should have had it on his desk monday morning. This would be a fantastic job, and in on the ground floor to boot....word thru the vine is may at least get an interview.....c'monphone..ring......Ring.......RIN G!

mark

kennypinkerton
08-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Well, today the phone rang and it was the rail loader job at Mercedes (company is actually contracted to mercedes to do the rail loading and install optional equipment like stereos and brush bars). I accepted it over the phone, and will start on the 11th of next month. Unless....

I'm still waiting for the phone call from the Waterworks, and when he calls me, I'll be taking that one instead... getting a CDL, a state certification for water treatment, and learning to operate a backhoe and a dumptruck sound like a lot better set of skill building opportunities to me. Plus the extra pay is nice too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But considering I just talked with him yesterday, and he still has to get my driving record, so I figure I'll hear from him next week.

But the first offer has allowed me to go ahead and put in my 2 weeks notice at work. I was nervous, but my manager said he didn't blame me, as he knows my situation. He's actually been expecting it. and he wished me good luck.

I'm still nervous about leaving the job I've been at for 13 years to pursue something completely different. I guess after 13 years at one place you kind of get a mental comfort zone going. Oh, well. I'm gonna miss working there.

SilentUnicorn
08-25-2006, 04:44 PM
ok Great Congrats... now <u>You</u> make <u>MY</u> phone ring. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mark

kennypinkerton
08-25-2006, 04:58 PM
What's yer number? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Seriously though, I've been at this for 2 months to find an "entry level" non-funeral business related job (I'm a funeral director until the 6th of next month) that pays $25,000 or more a year. Searching and applying for jobs at the rate I have been, has been more exhausting than actually working at a job - mentally emotionally and physically. I'm finally glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

For those who haven't seen any of my other posts... My current employer decided to cut back everyone's hours to just 40 hours a week. I had been averaging about 15-17 hours a week overtime during the past 13 years. It resulted in me losing exactly 1/3 of my annual salary.

08-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Kenny, congrats.

fwiw swmbo started a new job a couple of weeks ago after nearly 12 years. Its not so bad after the first day or so...

Howard_The_Duck
08-25-2006, 05:34 PM
I know how you felt Kenny. Although not employed nearly as long as you.

But with my old job transferring me an hour away and only giving me a 2000 a year raise, it was a nightmare. I spent more than that in gas going to and from work! Not to mention the fact that 2 hours of my day were wasted!

With this new job, I got a significant pay raise and alot less travelling. I also got a company car, expense reimbursement, laptop and Crackberry. ****, considering I quit college, that's amazing. Especially in these parts.

I just had to keep my nose to the grinder. Im glad you got something to help you out!

Take care!
/zack

mailbox
08-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Kenny,
Take the water job. Might make more moving cars, but you will have a lot more skills learned with the water company. Not just anyone can operate a backhoe, any dope can drive a car. $0.02 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tony barnhill
08-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Way to go, Kenny - either job sounds g4reat...in one you get to drive new Mercedes, in the other you get to drive heavy equipment...sounds like every little boy's dreams...now you don't have to grow up....hehehehehe

coldplugs
08-25-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm happy to hear that you found something - hope it goes well.

kennypinkerton
08-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Actually, there's more money being offered in the Waterworks job... That's the one I want too.

kyreb1862
08-25-2006, 10:12 PM
You'll love dump trucks and back hoes. I spent 28 years as a highway construction inspector for ky state gov. Got squeezed out by the new administration but even though I like retirement I still miss the job. Good Luck Kenny! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

R6MGS
08-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Nice Work Kenny...I know you wanted something else and these both sound like good jobs.
BTW: I noticed your brief absence...For the first time ever I am ahead in the top posters lists! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JamesWilson
08-26-2006, 06:34 AM
Congratulations... on your new job, and good luck with your desire for a newer one, too....

Hope you get they job you want.

WhatsThatNoise
08-26-2006, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
learning to operate a backhoe and a dumptruck sounds like a lot better

[/ QUOTE ]
2 full days and you should be good to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I actually like playing with mine. (JD 615)

Best of luck with the new job Kenny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jaybird
08-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Kenny, that's the best news! I've been thinking about you and your job situation. I'm so glad you're moving forward now! And good luck with the water company. Give them a call and let them know how interested you are in working with them if you don't hear anything this week!

Congratulations!

Mark, sending good vibes your way for that 'phone call!'

Bugeye58
08-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Glad you found something, Kenny, and doubly glad you may have a choice!
I took my current job 17 months ago, as a contract employee, supposedly only to be that way for two months. Then the company initiated a hiring freeze, so I stayed contract. At the end of July, the North American President for the corp. came back from Germany, and essentially said, "Hire Jeff, now." So, even though the freeze is still in place, I actually beat the system for a change!
I wish you well, my friend.
Mark, I think you must be next!!
My fingers are crossed, (as well of everything else I have two of,) for you both.
Jeff

wkilleffer
08-27-2006, 10:11 PM
I hope that you get the job you really want, Kenny. Not to distract for the importance of this or hijack the thread, but I'm just pleased to find someone similar to my age who worked some place for 10 years. The longest I've been able to make it anywhere was four years. That job could have been better or lead to better things, but the last six months of it were hellish and I had to leave with the possibility of being fired hanging over my head. Since then, I tried sales for a few months and worked as a surveyor for about six months until the company let me go because there wasn't any work for me. I get to work with an old friend at my current job, and it pays a bit with benefits. Even now, I'm trying to figure out what I really *want* to do, and how to go about making it happen. That would be the best way to use a job as a means to an end.

I hate to sound like I'm climbing on a soap box here, but there may be more to this than thinking that good jobs are hard to find. This may not be correct, but it seems like actual wages used to be lower, but so were taxes. It seems now that various taxes take up so much of a person's income that living is more difficult. While there are always other things to consider, that seems to explain why people making around $40k per year often seem like they're barely treading water.

Sorry if this seems a bit rambling, but it made sense at the time.

R6MGS
08-27-2006, 10:15 PM
People makin 100k have trouble here....taxed up the you know what....51% just income tax!

Howard_The_Duck
08-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Canada just became a far less appealing place to move to for me! 51%? I hope thats not across the board!

jlaird
08-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Vote flat tax.

wkilleffer
08-28-2006, 08:28 AM
During one of my unemployed periods, we could have been ok on just my wife's salary except for paying COBRA. It's nice to have the option, but it ended up putting us into a tight spot. But what could we have done? Cancelling it would have been an invitation for catastrophic injury or disease. Sort of like cancelling your homeowner's insurance. You might as well give your house permission to burn to the ground after doing that.

Isn't the top rate in the US 35%? Trouble is, it doesn't take much to get into that bracket. Seems like the top rate in the UK is closer to 95%.

While a flat tax might help, a more efficient collection agency would cut expenses in a hurry. I heard that 65 cents of every dollar collected in taxes is consumed by the IRS bureaucracy.

tony barnhill
08-28-2006, 09:27 AM
No, Jack, Fair Tax!

jlaird
08-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Yea Fair Tax, I misspoke.

Mickey Richaud
08-28-2006, 10:18 AM
"Fair Tax" - Isn't that an oxymoron? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mickey

JamesWilson
08-28-2006, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Seems like the top rate in the UK is closer to 95%.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the bad old days it might have been.

Currently, the first 5K is tax exempt. Then a step-graduated tax applies: 10% on the next 2,150, then 20% on the sums between 2,151 - 33,300, and then 40% on everything over that....

And there are allowances for a few things- professional expenses, etc., but I think the system is probably much less complex than in the US.

R6MGS
08-28-2006, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Canada just became a far less appealing place to move to for me! 51%? I hope thats not across the board!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not across the board, although it is still high for everyone....I think 51% is the top bracket

Dave Richards
08-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Congratulations, Kenny! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Food for thought:

Top IRS tax is now between 36% and 39%!

New York goes from about 5% to just under 10%! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

I pay 6% of value property tax each year.

Add in excise tax, sales tax of 8.25%!!!, etc. and our real tax rate is probably around 70% to 75%....just consider this:

Serfs in medieval England gave 50% of produce to the landlord! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif

I love America, I hate the IRS!

GB1
08-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Kenny:

Great news.

It just strikes me as odd that you would now be digging ditches hehehe.

Patrick

kennypinkerton
08-28-2006, 06:41 PM
What's really funny is I've said for years that I'm only qualified to work at a funeral home, or dig ditches... I guess it's fitting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JamesWilson
08-29-2006, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's really funny is I've said for years that I'm only qualified to work at a funeral home, or dig ditches...

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't a ditch just a multi-occupancy grave? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

kennypinkerton
08-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Well, I got the call yesterday at lunchtime. I'll be starting work at the water works on the 11th. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

First job I've ever had where I'll actually be off on the real weekend (sat, sun). I'll enjoyt that.

kyreb1862
08-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Congratulations Kenny!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Nunyas
08-30-2006, 11:27 AM
woohoo! congrats! Glad to hear you got the job you preferred! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Well Done in deed!

Harry_Ward
08-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Glad to hear the good news. Just one bit of advice, Don't dig up anything unless it's been marked out in advance for underground utlities and anything deeper than 5 feet make sure they use a trench box. Your life may depend on it.

OK, thats two. Good luck and dig safe.

GB1
08-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Great News Kenny!!!

R6MGS
08-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Yay! Kenny!

drooartz
08-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Good for you, Kenny. A job is a necessary evil, but a good job makes that a good evil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Seriously, congrats and good luck!

jlaird
08-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Out standing, and I know you are pleased as well. Glad for ya.

tony barnhill
08-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Alright, Kenny! Are you still gonna do the mortician thing parttime?

kennypinkerton
08-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks everyone who was pulling for me with prayers and wishes. I really appreciate it. I only hope the job will be as rewarding as I think it may be.

Tony, Not in the near future, but I might consider it later after I've gotten settled into my new job. I like to concentrate on one thing. I'll keep up my directors lisence though just in case. After 13 years there and all the experience... not spending the $70 to renew the lisence every year would be stupid. It's kind of like having a job-insurance policy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

After I start on the 11th... (kind of a sombre day, but now a good one for me) I'm going to ask if I can come in on days off to practice with the backhoe. I've watched many people use them in my funeral job, and some were ok, many sucked (were very jerky with the controls - almost dangerous even), but only a few seemed to be able to use them like it was an extension of their own body - verrrrry smooth and could clean out the bed of a dumptruck without ever even bumping the truck. That is my goal. I want to be the best backhoe operator the waterworks guys have ever seen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Practice Practice Practice!!!!

DrEntropy
08-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Good deal, Kenny! And you'll make the machine an extension of yourself in no time. Do it with ~STYLE~ man!!

mailbox
08-30-2006, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

First job I've ever had where I'll actually be off on the real weekend (sat, sun). I'll enjoy that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've worked at mine for 18+ years and STILL don't have Saturday off!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

P.S. Keep your license up. With your new backhoe skills you could open your own shop. One man funeral service. I can see it now:

KENNY PINKERTON'S FUNERAL SERVICE
"I bury dead people" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kennypinkerton
08-30-2006, 07:54 PM
I have absolutely no desire to start my own funeral business. Working there is one thing. But there are tons of pitfalls to owning that business. However, yes! With the backhoe skills, I could save up and buy my own backhoe, small dumptruck, and start a very nice "non-funeral-related" business. I know a guy - neigbor of my parents - that retired several years ago. He makes more money since he retired with the state - operating his own backhoe - than he ever made while working for someone else - so he says.

Plus, with this job, I'm going to get a CDL (class b or c I think), and a state water-treatment certification. Lots of oportunities with any of those skills!!!!! This job has more gravy than KFC can throw at 50 tons of mashed taters!!!! Plus the money "ain't bad" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wkilleffer
08-30-2006, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That is my goal. I want to be the best backhoe operator the waterworks guys have ever seen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Practice Practice Practice!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's good to hear that you have this goal. It always irked me a bit to think that there were lots of people out there with decent jobs who didn't care, and that those who really wanted to succeed and were willing to work for it often got shafted. Congratulations and good luck.

kennypinkerton
08-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Maybe - I guess, I'm one of those really rare guys (this forum is rare enough to have lots of us) that actually still take pride in whatever they are doing. I usually take enough pride in what I am doing, to want to be close to the best at what I am doing... at minimum... I want to be best in my own head. I want to know that I did everything possible in my own human way to finish the job exactly as it should be done. I'm not Anal in that pursuit. But I do take lots of pride in anything that I do. Usually well over the 100% mark. I didn't used to be this way. A long time ago (not that long really), I used to just do what I needed to, to JUST get by. I guess I grew up alot in the past several years. I graduated highschool with a 2.9 GPA, and quit college to get a "get-by" job. I want lots more now (actually, I just want to pay off my mobile home and buy some big hunk-o-land), but that's a lot to someone who grew up pretty poor. After that, I want to build a nice log home that my wife and I can retire in. My mobilehome will be paid off in 4 years. One of the reasons I'm moving careers is that I WILL NOT BUDGE on the payoff date of my current dwelling.... and I could no longer do it with the time-cut-backs at my current job. I'da never even started looking and found the good job awaiting me if they'da done that. I'm starting up a new road, and it looks alot better than the old one that started to no longer even be a road. I'm starting to see the means to my goals. And it feels **** good!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

JamesWilson
08-31-2006, 02:07 AM
Congratulations, I hope it works out as well for you as you think it will, or better....