PDA

View Full Version : So I'm jus' sittin' here...

DrEntropy
08-17-2006, 10:54 PM
...and decide to peek inna freezer...

HERSELF GOT US FUDGECICLES!!!

..Eat yer hearts out!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

DrEntropy
08-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Nuttin' goes better'n a fudgecicle an' a BEER! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

DrEntropy
08-17-2006, 10:58 PM
SWMBO calls it a "BEERPIE"!!!

DART
08-17-2006, 11:00 PM
Iced beerpie

DrEntropy
08-17-2006, 11:04 PM
yup-yup: A beer left inna freezer too long.

RomanH
08-17-2006, 11:31 PM
I always thought that it was called a beercicle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

DrEntropy
08-17-2006, 11:34 PM
Not when th' report (result of consumption) is somefin' like: "BEEERPPPP!!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

JamesWilson
08-18-2006, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I am, I am....

Its one of the things not available here (nor are proper ice cream sandwiches).

Not that I'm a big consumer of fudgesicles- I can't remember the last time I had one, but... I'm a tad jealous.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

jsneddon
08-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Beer and Fudgesicles are not bad... but I prefer frozen snickers and a tall glass of bourbon on ice.... call me crazy

Steve
08-18-2006, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I am, I am....

Not that I'm a big consumer of fudgesicles- I can't remember the last time I had one, but... I'm a tad jealous.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But you have access to 99's........Flake buried in a mound of soft-serve ice cream. You can't get that here.......

tony barnhill
08-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Y'day I ate a Brown Cow (vanilla ice cream covered with hardened chocolate coating on a stick instead of fudge)...sent my blood/sugar to 136 but who cares...every now & then I deserve one!

kennypinkerton
08-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Alcohol and sweets have never agreed with me... However, pizza, steak, potatoes, pretty much anything savory works well with beer to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DART
08-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Tony-136 ain't the end of the world. Bet is was back in the 90's a couple hours later.

tony barnhill
08-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Yep, by the next morning it was down back in range.

William
08-18-2006, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I am, I am....

[/ QUOTE ]

What d'you consider a proper ice cream sandwich? I'm still a big fan of the ones that are vanilla softserve between those chewy brown cookie-esque things. Although I had a monster ice cream sandwich up at Road America once. Big, full sized chocolate chip cookies about five inches in diameter with about an inch or so of chocolate ice cream betwixt. I can't imagine it was at all good for me....

-Wm.

JamesWilson
08-18-2006, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What d'you consider a proper ice cream sandwich? I'm still a big fan of the ones that are vanilla softserve between those chewy brown cookie-esque things.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it. Vanilla (gooey or otherwise) between two chewy chocolate boards.

They don't sell them here. The closest is a "Wafer"- ice cream between two flat (and thin) pieces of the light stuff they make ice cream cones from. Like:

http://www.abitofhome.ca/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/40816-02.jpg

And they're about 1/2 the size...

ANd then there are "Oysters" which are the same sort of thng but with an oyster shell shaped wafer.

But ice cream here has improved considerably over the past twenty years, there's a lot more variety with foreign imports. Hagen-Daz, Ben & Jerrys and even a few Baskin-Robins (though I don't think they carry as many flavors as in the US) etc., and a lot of local producers are now competing too so I think the quality and range of offerings has improved quite a bit.

jaybird
08-18-2006, 09:41 PM
You telling me I'm not going to get proper ice cream when I come to Scotland next summer? I may have to rethink my trip...

ecurie_ecosse
08-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Depends what you call "proper" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif
Maybe there are still local 'Tallies making ice cream on the premises.Mind you,it's quite a while since I visited Scotland.Perhaps all you get is factory ice cream. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Baz
08-18-2006, 10:26 PM
You won't be dissapointed with an aforementioned "99 with Flake" J; the salmon is the best on the planet.

AngliaGT
08-18-2006, 11:43 PM
.... call me crazy

[/ QUOTE ]

OK.... You're crazy!

- Doug

Baz
08-19-2006, 06:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You won't be dissapointed with an aforementioned "99 with Flake" J; the salmon is the best on the planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like I meant Salmon ice cream didn't it?
I didn't mean that at all!
Sounds as bad as hedgehog crisps....

ecurie_ecosse
08-19-2006, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like I meant Salmon ice cream didn't it?
I didn't mean that at all!
Sounds as bad as hedgehog crisps....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank goodness for that,had me worried very briefly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifBut the salmon is certainly very good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jsneddon
08-19-2006, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You telling me I'm not going to get proper ice cream when I come to Scotland next summer? I may have to rethink my trip...

[/ QUOTE ]

You? as the Worldwide Leader of the Anti-Bagpipe-League you are going to Scotland on purpose ?????

JamesWilson
08-19-2006, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you'll be able to have proper ice cream. It greatly improved over the past twenty + years. Though, sadly, fudgecicles and ice cream sandwiches aren't on the menu.

There's something of a now dying tradition that the ice cream was produced by Italian immigrants, often made and sold on the premises of small, family run cafes; and some of these still persist. Nardini's Ice Cream Emporium (http://www.travelscotland.co.uk/food/nardini_250101.htm) was an example, its due to re-open after a major renovation (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/5187186.stm).

The Salmon seems to have been mentioned in passing, but too close to the ice cream.

The Salmon is great, and so too is the seafood caught locally. I can recommend the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar (http://travel.guardian.co.uk/restaurants/story/0,,1826114,00.html)which is an unimpressive building on the coast road to Inverary. They do a great variety of freah seafood, and a pretty decent steak for the carnivores. They've since branched out and have restaurants in a numebr of other locations (London, Oxford, etc.); but the original still ahs a certain ambience.

Beef- Aberdeen Angus; Lamb, Venison; Ayrshire bacon (and presumably the rest of the pig's sold somewhere too). Potatoes.

Soft fruit- Scottish Strawberris and Raspberries are excellent in season.

Then there's the down side:

Haggis sounds worse than it is, but can be easily avoided.

Irn Bru (http://www.irn-bru.co.uk/). A strange orange concoction of a soft-drink I detest; but said to be the perfect thing to counter hangovers. It is reputed to be the only soft-drink in the world to outsell Coke in its own country.

And then there's the infamous Deep Fried Mars Bar (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4103415.stm). What can I say? I've never had one and don't intend to....

There's more than enough great food here tomake your trip both enjoyable and not a little fattening.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif