PDA

View Full Version : affixing snaps and Lift the Dots

Miss64TR4
08-16-2006, 04:26 PM
my vinyl tonneau cover has arrived; no holes are pre-punched; in the cool of the evening it hardly stretches enough to reach its waiting pins on my TR4. In the sun I bet it stretches a little, but still, it looks like I need to get the snaps as close to the tonneau's edges as possible. Do you folks advise attaching these shaps half over that extra lap of vinyl with out touching the stitching? Thanks! <font color="black"> </font> <font color="black"> </font>

Banjo
08-16-2006, 08:36 PM
I always install them out on the edge, usually with the edge of the plate agenst the edge bead of the tonneau/top.
Did you get/or do you have the punch tool for the lift-a-dot plate style snaps. That is an invaluable tool. it saves a bunch of time and headache.

R6MGS
08-16-2006, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always install them out on the edge, usually with the edge of the plate agenst the edge bead of the tonneau/top.
Did you get/or do you have the punch tool for the lift-a-dot plate style snaps. That is an invaluable tool. it saves a bunch of time and headache.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif
I need to pick up one of those tools...I did my entire MGA interior last year using an exacto to cut the holes...Not fun.
I second the suggestion of putting them as close to the edge as possible....If this is a MOSS tonneau they are famous for being skimpy on material so you need to get the maximum length out of it.

Miss64TR4
08-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks. "Right to the edge it'll be. " Yes, it was from Moss; little did I know. It'll fit fine "going to the edge" but it's going to look odd to me. Oh, well. Also a good Portland (OR) club member is letting me borrow both tools. Again, thanks for responding.

R6MGS
08-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Thats what we're here for!...BTW: Welcome to the forum