PDA

View Full Version : Something Else to Worry About

Mickey Richaud
08-07-2006, 08:25 AM
SHEESH!

Apparently this checks out at snopes.com:

A woman said her son found his license plate missing so he called the police to file a report. They told him people were stealing the plates to get free gas Given the rise in gas prices, people have taken to stealing license plates, putting them on their car, then getting gas and running. The gas station will have "your" license plate # and you could be in trouble for "pump and run." Check your car periodically to be sure you still have a plate. If you should find it missing, file a report immediately!!!

Keep an eye on your license plate! Make sure you always know it's there! This lady's were stolen and she has no idea when! The lady at the revenue office said that they have replaced several license plates since gas prices have been so high. People are stealing them, putting them on their vehicles to go buy gas and driving off without paying! When the license plate is reported as the "drive off vehicle", it's YOU they contact! Be aware!!!! Be aware of your license plates, most of us never look to see if they're there.

anthony7777
08-07-2006, 08:36 AM
good advise! i just remove my plate before i "pump and run" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

kennypinkerton
08-07-2006, 08:38 AM
I have a couple friends who work at gas stations, and they are told not to even bother calling in drive-offs... Waste of time because they are usually never caught. The stations are allowed to write off a certain amount of loss in drive-offs. That said... If I owned a gas station... I'd have head level video at each pump, and if you drove off, I would definately have someone put in jail.

coldplugs
08-07-2006, 09:37 AM
...and with the Alaska pipeline shutdown prices'll being going up again.

Steve
08-07-2006, 09:59 AM
I use tamper-proof fasteners on mine.

R6MGS
08-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Stations seams pretty watchful around here.....I picked up an old 82 Camaro for $700 a few years ago as a summer project. I bought it in Febuary and the PO left me with an empty tank, since my parents house was just down the street I drove there first and slapped on some expired California plates...Now this was a faded, rusted, noisy Camaro and the PO was a smoker so I had all the windows down in Febuary trying to air it out. Anyway I pull up to the gas station, try the pump....nothing...try again...nothing....Finally the attendant comes on the loud speaker and calls me into the store....She had disabled the pump until I paid upfront. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/square.gif

R6MGS
08-07-2006, 09:50 PM
I'd love to watch someone try to steal the front plate from my TR6....cussin at the stupid OE holder that allows about 1 inch for access to the nuts.

Steve_S
08-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Not a problem in So Cal. All the pumps are "pay first".

tony barnhill
08-07-2006, 10:16 PM
I really don't like "pay first" pumps & avoid those stations religiously! If I can use my credit card, that's my first choice - second is paying by cash - after I know how much gas I need as I always fill up & never know how much it'll cost....most places around here that are "pay first" want you to specify an amount - they set the pump to give you that much...then, if you need more, you have to go back & specify again...wastes too much time!

Steve_S
08-07-2006, 10:37 PM
You would hate it out here then. I haven't seen a pump first station in 15 years. If you pay by credit card then it doesn't matter if it's pay first or pump first. If you pay with cash, just give them more than you need and get change. It protects the stations from thieves and therefore keeps costs down.

R6MGS
08-07-2006, 11:13 PM
I see how pay first would be annoying....Not sure how popular this is where you guys are but here I only fill up at ESSo stations(I get an employee discount) and esso has a 'speed pass' program...Works like a credit card, but it's an electronic key fob that you swipe past a target on the pump...that way you don't have to fumble with your wallet to find your card.....They're getting pretty fancy now, most stations have TV built into the pumps so you can get the news/weather ect while you pump.

AngliaGT
08-07-2006, 11:17 PM
I stopped at a station East of Clearlake,CA.
They wanted to know exactly how much I wanted.
This frustated me,as I wanted to fill the tank,but didn't
know EXACTLY how much it would take.
They didn't seem to care that I didn't like the way this was set up.

- Doug

JamesWilson
08-08-2006, 06:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They didn't seem to care that I didn't like the way this was set up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Customer service isn't what it used to be....

I've never once been asked to pay first here in the UK, and fuel is now ~$7/US gallon here....

Baz
08-08-2006, 07:09 AM
They put E-85 in most of the pumps here, that junk is not worth stealing.

Sherlock
08-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Here in Alberta all the stations are still "pump first, pay later"

The only time you'll ever encounter the pre-paid thing is if you happen to be filling up during early morning hours at certain gas stations... I suppose one gets used to the pre-paid routine, but how would you know how much gas your fill is going to be?

With the gas price expected to spike to $1.25 per litre here (in light of the Prudhoe Bay developments), maybe driveoffs might be on the rise... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Not by me of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Really... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tony barnhill
08-08-2006, 08:59 AM
I once went to get gas & the pump wouldn't read my card for some reason - w/o card it was pay first so I gave the guy my card to hold..."Its not good," he said. "because the pump won't read it, there must be a problem with the card. I need cash."

I'm thinking, "What a buffoon." So, I decided to play his silly little game & handed him a hundred dollar bill to hold. "But I'll be using my card to pay." I tossed over my shoulder as I went outside.

When I came back in, he returned my $100 as I handed him my card - his scanner wouldn't read it either. "Card's no good. He sarcastically retorted.

"Run the numbers manually, please." I firmly stated with a wry smile.

"That takes too long."

"I've got time, I've been back and forth between your counter and the pump enough."

"Its too hard and there are other people waiting."

"Not my problem."

Well, after going through the process - which took him at least 5 minutes as he kept punching the card number in incorrectly - he handed me my credit card and a receipt to sign.

"Hmm, guess your pumps are screwed up, huh?" I spat at him as I turned and left never to go back again.

kennypinkerton
08-08-2006, 10:02 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

jsneddon
08-08-2006, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't like "pay first" pumps & avoid those stations religiously! If I can use my credit card, that's my first choice - second is paying by cash - after I know how much gas I need as I always fill up & never know how much it'll cost....most places around here that are "pay first" want you to specify an amount - they set the pump to give you that much...then, if you need more, you have to go back & specify again...wastes too much time!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Steve's right... you'd lose your mind out here. There is absolutely no such thing as a pump first station anywhere within probably 600 miles of the L.A. basin. But I've become very good at looking at the fuel guage and requesting the exact amount to fill it up based on the wildly fluctuating price of gas. Plus almost all of them take credit cards directly at the pump.

Next thing you're going to tell us is that gas stations in your neck of the woods actually close at night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Steve_S
08-08-2006, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I suppose one gets used to the pre-paid routine, but how would you know how much gas your fill is going to be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy. Just give them more cash than it will take, and get change back. Or use your card directly at the pump, which is even faster and easier than pump first.

tony barnhill
08-08-2006, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Next thing you're going to tell us is that gas stations in your neck of the woods actually close at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

YEP!! & some of them have islands that say "Full Service" where they'll pump your gas, clean windshield, etc. - like in the old days....nice on a Sunday afternoon or on the way to dinner.

sparkydave
08-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Interesting article, but I haven't heard of that happening around here (yet). There have been plenty of drive-offs at the gas stations though, so all of them are pay first. I don't worry about it if the card reader works, just slide the card through. The other day the poor girl working the counter seemed perplexed when I asked for 2 gallons to fill the 2-gallon can, since I was going to pay cash. Seems to me the last hundred times I filled the gas can they program the pump to dispense exactly that, so I don't know why she had to grab a calculator to figure out the dollar amount to program the pump for. Then again, 2 * $2.99 = $5.98 doesn't require a calculator, either.

coldplugs
08-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Different worlds, I guess. I'm not aware of any "pay first" stations around here. Our population is relatively low (for example, my town is about 3500 people) so the stations away from the highways and tourist areas get a high percentage of repeat business and recognize their customers. If there's a "drive off", they figure old Enoch forgot to pay and they nail him next time he stops by.

Today (Tuesday) is "rubbish day" for about half the town. A private outfit (a guy with a truck and a cell phone) picks up the rubbish today. Every rubbish bag or barrel has an envelope with $2 per bag in it that sits by the road for an hour or two. If there's ever been a problem with people stealing the $ then I'm unaware of it.

We buy bread from a place in the oldest house in town. The ovens are about 150 years old, wood fired. You go in, get your bread off the shelf, make your change out of a can, and put any large bills in a mailbox with a slot on top.

This time of year, the farm stands are mostly self-service. Weigh your stuff, make your change, etc.

But - it's all changing. The southern part of the state has had major growth over the past 10 or 15 years and this sort of trust-your-neighbor culture is fading. I imagine it's just a matter of time before we have "pay first" gas stations.

I lived out west for a few years and had to pay first in most cases, and people even told me to lock the car door when I went in to pay. Talk about culture shock.!

Of course, living here means fewer jobs, lower salaries, giving up lots of conveniences etc etc but what the heck, at least we get to pump first.

tony barnhill
08-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Heck, I went to get a haircut today..had my wallet in hand when I went in..laid it with about $500 in cash, my cell phone, & car keys (nope, car wasn't locked either) on the counter while I had my hair washed & cut...when I finished, everything was still there & I told the barber Jerri would pay when she stopped by later to have her hair done by the beautician....

Then drove up to the Chevron station to top car off before leaving for funeral tomorrow - sign says "pay first"...when I pulled up, the manager waved & turned on my pump (as somebody else came out after 'paying first')

Part of it is the community & the trust people have in one another....some of you guys have been to my place - just a hamlet bout 10 miles outside Huntsville but we recognize and watch all the 'outsiders' until we know they're okay!

DrEntropy
08-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Ayah. I grew up where the car was left unlocked, with key in the ignition. Doors were never locked and the neighbors fed all the kids at random when the opportunity came up. "Mangia!" was the phrase.

It's ~very~ different where I live now... I have the benefit of military training and the "ear" of the local law enforcement agencies but ~RESPONSIBLE PARENTING~ would be a good thing to expect as well. Not likely that'll happen.

..I just keep weapons to hand and the locks locked. What a shame.

kennypinkerton
08-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Off-topic.... But Doc... I love the new "Stolen Sig" !!!

And yes there's no place like home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

JamesWilson
08-09-2006, 04:44 AM
"...but we recognize and watch all the 'outsiders' until we know they're okay!"

In some Scottish villages, outsiders can achieve such warm acceptance after a few decades.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Baz
08-09-2006, 06:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In some Scottish villages, outsiders can achieve such warm acceptance after a few decades.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Helensburgh???
It's been a while since I was there, so forgive the spelling, but as an 'ousider', I can second that!

JamesWilson
08-09-2006, 07:03 AM
I suspect its true of most small towns and villages, to a greater or lesser extent....

DrEntropy
08-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Certainly is. In some parts you'd have to be second or third generation before you'd be considered "safe."

...humans... sheesh.

jackq
08-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Earlier this year we upgraded a bit and bought a newer ancier motorhome....and of course had a larger gas tank, over 100 gallons. It was of course near empty when bought so with tow car hooked up we stop at a local place to fill up and over the speaker came"please pre-pay" I guess I loked like I was a flight risk...huge motorhome pulling a white bug vert, real stealthy. I walked in and dropped three 100 dollar bills on the counter, should have seen the look on a few of the customer's faces. I think I got ten bucks back in change. I can see the point in pre-paying, if I owned a gas station like I have in the past, I'd be in jail for chasing down runners.

jlaird
08-09-2006, 02:27 PM
No locks here, gated community. Our big prob is teen age kids that live here. They mostly just after something to do.