PDA

View Full Version : Vegemite...what the heck to do with it?

William
08-04-2006, 03:28 PM
So, as a joke, a coworker of mine left a small jar of Vegemite on my desk the other day (I'd made a remark about eating a Vegemite sandwich, and he said it tasted awful, and I admitted having never had the stuff, as I'd never seen it in a store in the States. Apparently Woodman's carries it.). I've tried looking stuff up about this, and all I can get is that you either eat it on toast or on a cheese sandwich.

So, do you just schmear it on, like peanut butter or mayonnaise? Does it need to be refrigerated? The jar doesn't state that. But right now it's taunting me to open it up and try it. Good thing my allergies are acting up and I'm not tempted to try it right now (everything tastes funny).

any ideas?

-Wm.

ecurie_ecosse
08-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Smear it on lightly William,as it has quite a strong taste.
A cracker with a slice of tomato on top is okay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
Mind you,I never did acquire the taste for that,nor for it's cousin,Marmite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif(keep some of this handy too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif)

coldplugs
08-04-2006, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Vegemite...what the heck to do with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

William, if it's anything like Marmite just dig a hole as deep as you can and bury it.

sideache
08-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Pass it on to another - just like Christmas Fruit cake.

But heavens sake - don't eat it!

ecurie_ecosse
08-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Lets hope none of our "down under" guys read this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Vegemite and Marmite are eaten there a lot.

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Baz
08-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Are you all kidding? Vege / Mar mite is the best.
Spread that on a slice of toast in the mornin', it's good for ya.

Steve
08-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Toast with a bit of dripping spread on it, topped with Bovril is good too...............

TRDejaVu
08-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Still get my Marmite fix every now and again; lovely jubbly. Never did get the taste for Vegemite though. Of course, I came from a land where cooking falls into 2 categories; burn it or boil it.

JamesWilson
08-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Its an acquired taste... though I'd have to be starving in Cell Block H (http://www.prisoner-cellblockh.co.uk/oti.html) before I'd acquire it.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite

"Vegemite is the registered brand name for a dark brown, salty food paste made from yeast extract, mainly used as a spread on sandwiches and toast, though occasionally used in cooking. It is popular in Australia and New Zealand and is known as one of Australia's national foods...."

"Vegemite is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract, a by-product of beer manufacture, and various vegetable and spice additives. The taste is difficult to describe but is extremely salty and slightly bitter, and as might be expected, malty, similar to the taste of beef bouillon."

I'd recommend you refrigerate it after opening. Far at the back behind the other jars...

If you do eat (Go on, think of it as a broadening experience worthy of a man-of-the-world) spread it thinly.

Don't want too much of a good thing, do we? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Baz
08-04-2006, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Toast with a bit of dripping spread on it, topped with Bovril is good too...............

[/ QUOTE ]

Turkey dripping for brekkie on boxing day. Yeah.
I've been trying to hide a frying pan with 6 month old grease from the Mrs. She keeps finding it and cleaning it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I just want a bacon sarnie with real bacon!

AngliaGT
08-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Find an Aussie,& give it to them!
Or have a Fluffenutter Sandwich instead.

- Doug

William
08-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Of course I'm going to try it!

Thanks for the answers-I guess toast is the way to go. I'm still fighting the sinus issues, so I'm holding off till things taste normal. I may report back tomorrow on this!

Funny-I dated a girl in college who was from New Zealand and just loved Vegemite on toast. She'd go on and on about it but would never let me try any!

-Wm.

tony barnhill
08-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Wonder if you can use it to grease the splines on wire wheels? hehehehehe

JamesWilson
08-05-2006, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...so I'm holding off till things taste normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess then you'll appreciate the full effect effects of its distinctive flavour, or, maybe, realize that your taste hasn't quite returned to normality..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

racing girl
08-05-2006, 07:01 PM
It's absolutely packed full of B vitamins and is exceptionally good for you.... however, it's not that palatable! It's good with a chess sarnie, or spread on toast with chees on top and then melted under the grill. In the fall/winter when we make more stews and casseroles, stick a teaspoon of it in and stir it around, gives a lovely, rich meaty taste to it but don't add any other kind of salt.

And no, it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

RG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

kennypinkerton
08-05-2006, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's absolutely packed full of B vitamins...

[/ QUOTE ]

So is beer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

wkilleffer
08-05-2006, 09:56 PM
An Aussie I talked to on the subject one time told me to toast a slice of bread and spread butter on it while it was still hot or warm. Then, spread a *very* small amount of the Vegemite over that. Imagine that if the bread was white, the amount of Vegemite would barely change the color of the bread.

I tried it, but couldn't handle it. It seemed like the taste was comparable to what I imagine rusty metal to taste like. Melting cheese over it might work, though.

AngliaGT
08-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Be an American! Put Ketchup on it!

- Doug

Baz
08-06-2006, 08:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course I'm going to try it!

I'm still fighting the sinus issues

[/ QUOTE ]

Vegemite or marmite should take care of sinus issues, and many other ailments.

anthony7777
08-06-2006, 09:27 AM
jamesw,i have a neighbor a britt. gent thats a long distance runner he boils this stuff up in water to make a past/salve to prevent athlets feet, yup he rubs his feed with it! is this a common application? the image of this will not have me tasting this stuff any time soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

JamesWilson
08-06-2006, 09:50 AM
I've never heard of that before.

I suppose its one way to avoid having to eat it.

I'd hate to be the salesman in any shoe shop he frequents.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

anthony7777
08-06-2006, 10:26 AM
jameswillson, what can you expect from this guy, hes a britt. that owns two "prancing horse" type cars one for the street and one for the track.he once asked if he could borrow my elct. drill and some bits, when he brought back the drill only two of the 5 bits id lent him were returned and both had rivet heads stuck on them from the tip to the bottom of the shank,and my wife wonders why i wont talk to him.this nuckle head is capable of anything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Baz
08-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Technically, it is a yeast extract, and athletes foot is a yeast infection.
Why????
How????

anthony7777
08-06-2006, 11:02 AM
baz, your correct,"go figga" like i said this guys capable of anything, and he wonders why he cant get rid of his foot ailment? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif probably thinks hes fighting fire with fire, who knows! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bruce Bowker
08-06-2006, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its an acquired taste...

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is something I never have understood. Why "acquire" a taste for something you hated when you first tasted it? I would rather have something I have always liked.

JamesWilson
08-06-2006, 01:33 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

True, its not a taste I've acquired... nor would I particularly wish too unless Elle Macpherson were at the bottom of the bottle, and her appeal might be lessened somewhat for it.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But people make ice cream, milk shakes and other weird delights with it...

And as has been mentioned, its probably most useful (even edible) as a kind of stock-base flavouring for soups, stews and the like... well watered down.

Baz
08-06-2006, 03:45 PM
James,
you must have fond memories of those soggy saturday mornings in the thick of winter playing fottie, hot cup of bovril or marmite at half time.
Jumpers for goalposts etc....

zblu
08-07-2006, 06:07 AM
The vegemite must sell well as KRAFT bought out the rights to it, so look out y'all, the advertising crew is a gonna be selling you a new experience! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Roger
08-07-2006, 11:36 AM
It's wonderful, like Marmite, Bovril, Hob-Nobs, real Christmas Cake, Black Pudding, chunky Oxford Marmalade, Jugged Hare - I could go on, but you other expat Brits know what I mean.

ecurie_ecosse
08-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Roger,I'm okay with your list apart from the marmite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

wkilleffer
08-07-2006, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The vegemite must sell well as KRAFT bought out the rights to it, so look out y'all, the advertising crew is a gonna be selling you a new experience! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like Kraft bought the Walker Cheese Company many years ago. They're the company that first developed the stuff to try and capitalize on the fact that Marmite was rather difficult to get Down Under back in those days, as well as finding a way to dispose of brewery by-products. I doubt we'll see the Happy Little Vegemites in the USA ;^)

SteveL
08-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Okay, two questions...

If you've never tried it, how do you know you won't like it??
How do you know you like it, if you've never tasted it??
I've been eating both Marmite and Vegemite since birth, don't
have a favorite, love them both. But then, I was born in
New Zealand, land of sheep(no comments about nervous sheep
thank you), and Vegemite...

SteveL

SteveL
08-07-2006, 06:33 PM
The correct way to eat it goes like this...

Take your *COLD* toast, lightly spread with butter, then
lightly spread your Vegemite/Marmite on the buttered toast,
*LIGHTLY* being the operative word, then eat...

SteveL

William
08-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Well, I've just learnt one important lesson: when you have a brand new jar some foodstuff that you've never tried before, do not open it up and stick your finger in for a taste! Eaten this way, Vegemite tastes like shoe polish. I've tasted shoe polish. Tastes like Vegemite.

Now, having said that, I fired up the PastryKing and made some toast just now. And following the tips I've gotten here (putting Vegemite on buttered toast, not using too much, etc.) I can safely say that Vegemite's not all that bad. Very salty, or salty tasting, which comes as a surprise when you're eating toast (unless you routinely add salt to buttered toast. I don't). Rather like eating a pretzel with butter on it. It tasted quite familiar, but I can't place where I've tasted this before, unless I've had Vegemite and not known it.

-Wm.

kennypinkerton
08-07-2006, 09:03 PM
I'd eat a whole jar in 3 minutes or less for $50 or more! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Any takers?

SteveL
08-07-2006, 09:30 PM
A similar taste to both Marmite and Vegemite is the
drippings from a good beef crown roast...

SteveL

Roger
08-08-2006, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A similar taste to both Marmite and Vegemite is the
drippings from a good beef crown roast...

SteveL

[/ QUOTE ]

Which accurately describes Bovril!

kyreb1862
08-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Anybody want to start a pool to get Kenny to eat a whole jar of vegemite in 3 minutes or less? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

JamesWilson
08-08-2006, 09:01 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

Will anyone be taking side bets on how long it stays down?

kennypinkerton
08-08-2006, 10:19 PM
I've eaten my own homemade humus... and chickpeas was the only common ingredient to the more middle east stuff. Trust me... if it isn't going to stay in... it'll just take the TRV tunnel to the southbound exit - takes about an hour. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Oh, and All proceeds go to me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JamesWilson
08-09-2006, 04:33 AM
A cruel and unusual punishment to inflict on a fellow BCF'er. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

...even for a bet.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

'course, my wife says anyone that owns one of these old LBCs is a masochist at heart.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

jlaird
08-09-2006, 02:35 PM
I love humus. The real stuff on pita bread. Hmmmm, too long in Saudi I supose.

kennypinkerton
08-09-2006, 03:07 PM
I love humus, and can make the real thing... but in my first couple of attempts, I had no access to tahini... so I substituted butter and mayo - icky, but I ate it anyway. I like to spice mine up with curry or just some ground habanero. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif