PDA

View Full Version : One Piece Racing Seats (now steering wheels)

RobSelina
07-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Going to need some one-piece seats before I start fabricating my cage.

I've used summit's cheap poly seats in my offroad rigs and have no issues with them. I've only used the 21" wide variety before, planning on using 20" wide variety this time:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG2100&N=429 4839019+4294915209+115&autoview=sku)

In your opinion, are these good enough for club racing?

I've only ever seen one pair in a wreck, and they faired okay. Guy totalled his jeep, head on collision at about 50MPH. The seat mounting points cracked but held, no other visible damage to the seats.

What's the verdict?

BTW, I am planning on two seats for the time being. It's fun to have passengers in auto-cross and it'll be useful for the driving school and licensing....

tony barnhill
07-16-2006, 02:26 PM
I've got one of their aluminum one-piece seats in my GRM car.

AngliaGT
07-16-2006, 03:19 PM
I had a friend who raced a GT4 Fiesta.
He bought a racing seat with low sides on it.
He said that he should have bought one with higher sides on it,as he injured his ribs because of that.
Hope this helps.

- Doug

aeronca65t
07-16-2006, 04:16 PM
I've had that seat in my car for the last 4 years. Mainly due to cost.
No problems to date, but I'd like a higher side brace (as Doug mentioned).
I'll likely go with the $100 Kirkey in the Summit Catalog this Winter.
EMRA and the vintage clubs "recommnend" aluminum over poly (but don't require).

RobSelina
07-16-2006, 09:11 PM
This the one you're thinking of Nial?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=KIR%2D09800&N=400 266+4294915209+115&autoview=sku)

I think if I went with a kirkey, I'd go with the 20-degree layback and the 17.5" wide variety (like this one). I 'think' I'll fit in it. I'm a 42" waist though, might have to loose 20 lbs to sneak into it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tony barnhill
07-16-2006, 09:30 PM
That's the seat I have.

RobSelina
07-16-2006, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's the seat I have.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you like it Tony?

tony barnhill
07-16-2006, 09:42 PM
I bought mine used ($20) off another web site...main reason I bought it was price (it fit in my GRM budget)...its tight - & unbelieveably - comfortable....had the mounting kit not come with mine, that would've been another $50 or so...& if I were buying new, I'd get the 20-degree layback instead of 15-degree.

Bugeye58
07-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Rob, I run the Kirkey 20 degree layback. I sold my "Fat Boy" 17" seat, and switched to a 15". It's snug, but I don't have to worry about flopping around in it. I made mounts for the side of the seat.
Jeff

WhatsThatNoise
07-17-2006, 05:42 AM
Yep.....20 degree Kirkey is good.

You can always wedge it to fine tune the angle for helmet/roll-bar clearance.
(You have to have room above your helmet because the cage is usually 3 or so inches below the roof if you have one)

Also....If you get a HANS.....Anything less than 20 & it might push your head down.
(The problem I ran into)

aeronca65t
07-17-2006, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This the one you're thinking of Nial?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=KIR%2D09800&N=400 266+4294915209+115&autoview=sku)

I think if I went with a kirkey, I'd go with the 20-degree layback and the 17.5" wide variety (like this one). I 'think' I'll fit in it. I'm a 42" waist though, might have to loose 20 lbs to sneak into it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...exactly. And I was planning on the 20 degree job.

By the way, part of the reason I'm waiting is to see where my waist size ends up. I've lost about 25 lbs in the last few months and I'm still working to get down a bit more (but I'll admit, I'm getting a little tired of eating carrots as a "snack").
Anyway, as Jeff says, snug is good, so I'd like to get one that fits me snugly.

RobSelina
07-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

Since I do want to run a hans device eventually, sounds like a 20-degree layback it is, and after reading up on here I'm thinking I'd rather have the kirkey seats.

Just one more thing to save up for I guess!

Bugeye58
07-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Rob, I installed my first Kirkey seat over 10 years ago, and haven't looked back. One problem with the Spridget is its limited real estate, by the time you install a cage, etc. The Kirkey has a fairly small footprint, and I got the 17" seat in the Bugeye with no difficulties at all. The 15" fits in the '62 with gobs of room to spare.
One other thing to mention, slightly on topic, is the installation of a removeable steering wheel. By the time you get the bars, etc. in, climbing around the wheel is a serious impediment, especially should you ever have to exit in a hurry. I strongly recommend one.
Jeff

RobSelina
07-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Jeff, it's definitely on the list and I thank you for reminding me I'll need it sooner rather than later.

Any advice on which one to get? I'd like something smaller than the 15" stocker, probably a 14" or 13" one.

Bugeye58
07-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Rob, I think mine is an 11". Perhaps a bit small for Auto-X, I can't speak to that, but it works fine for road racing.
Jeff

tony barnhill
07-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Definitely on the removeable steeringwheel

RobSelina
07-17-2006, 10:25 PM
where did that 11" wheel come from Jeff?

WhatsThatNoise
07-18-2006, 05:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Climbing around the wheel is a serious impediment, especially should you ever have to exit in a hurry. I strongly recommend one.
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif Yes......Recommended.
Get the splined removable hub rather than the one with 6 flats......(They don't have as much slop in em)

Also.....Most of the people who use Kirkey seats modify them in some way to make them fit better.
I had to cut some of the right side support out in order to get more freedom of movement.

FWIW......I like 12" wheels.
(11" is too small & 13" is too big)

Hap Waldrop
07-18-2006, 08:18 AM
I recommend Mountney racing wheels, not to be confused with thier street steering wheels, Transatlantic Racing carries Mountney race steering wheels.

RobSelina
07-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Hap, do you have a link/number for transatlantic? Couldn't find them in google....

RobSelina
07-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Okay, found a vendor.

I'm inclined to get the mountney 12" racing wheel as suggested:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3401

And as for the quick release, do I need a 5/8" or 3/4" variety? I'm assuming I'd have to weld it on?

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3400

BTW, anyone use this vendor before? Alternate good source?

Thanks,

Rob

ChrisS
07-20-2006, 02:30 PM
I've used them without issue, FWIW.

RobSelina
07-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks.

I did a quick search on google for their name "+sucks" and didn't get any negative feedback so once I figure out which hub adapter I need I'll place an order. Guess I get to pull my steering wheel tonight!

Bugeye58
07-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Rob, try either Racer Parts Wholesale, or Racer Wholesale. Lots cheaper than the other place.
Same stuff, less money. Always a good thing.
Jeff

RobSelina
07-20-2006, 05:41 PM
thanks for the vendor names Jeff. Looks like RPW has a 13" wheel and sleeve style hub release for around $93.

The three ball types are generally better regarded than the single pin release variants, right?

Any experience with either of the ones offered?

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/strghub.htm

Bugeye58
07-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Rob, I've used both the pin type and the sleeve style release. Both work, but I prefer the sleeve. I never noticed any excessive slop with the hex style compared to the splined hubs.
Jeff

RobSelina
07-20-2006, 11:32 PM
cool. Think I'll get the sleeve style hub (the 5/8" one by the looks of the shaft) and that cheap racing wheel.

Going to try to figure out which mocal sandwich adapter I need for an oil cooler while I'm at it too since they offer them...

aeronca65t
07-21-2006, 05:19 AM
Being the ultimate cheapskate, I bought a wheel from JC Whitney (10") and then took apart the standard steering wheel and removed the aluminum center hub. I drilled the hub with three holes so that the cheapie wheel would fit.
I have a quick-remove (pin-type...bought from Racer Parts Wholesale) but I haven't put it on yet. Another "this-winter" project.
I also shortened my steering column by about 6".

Hap Waldrop
07-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Transatlantic racing services 1-800-533-6057.

I use the 12" version. I tried the 10" one, got squirrlly coming out of 10b at Road Atlanta and it felt like I was trying to drive a bumper car, the 12" defintely gives you more control when things go wrong. Theorecticly you would like to get as big a diameter steering wheel as possible, the bigger the diameter the less effort it takes to make a correction. In Spridgets, it always a compromise as we're constantly trying to fiquire out how to put 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bucket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tony barnhill
07-21-2006, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a quick-remove (pin-type...bought from Racer Parts Wholesale) but I haven't put it on yet. Another "this-winter" project.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to fabricate one for the GRM car...any ideas?

RobSelina
07-21-2006, 10:02 AM
ordered a hub and 13" wheel from RPW. Couldn't argue with the price....also picked up a battery disconnect.

RobSelina
07-21-2006, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to fabricate one for the GRM car...any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen the pics of them?

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/strghub.htm

First make the hex piece to weld onto the column, then the sleeve with the bolt pattern for the wheel. A pin rests in the slot on the hex head piece.

Might be easier to machine with a round piece, instead of a hex, and then add some 1/4" x 14" stock to the steering column adapter piece to make 2 or 4 'splines....

At the end of the day, I'd probably try to find $25 in the budget for a premade adapter, but I know that build is really tight in that regard!

Hap Waldrop
07-21-2006, 10:10 AM
One advantage with the fine spline hub is that you can always stick the wheel on straight, with the hex hub most of the time, it's a compromise.

RobSelina
07-21-2006, 11:12 AM
true.

I figure there's so much other stuff I need to buy before this car is legal for SCCA or SWMS, better save where I can...

The big ticket items I still need to buy are the fuel cell, kirkey seats and 6-pt harnesses, followed by the PPE (suit, gloves, underwear, shoes, etc). I'm going to try to live with my motorcycle helmet for the time being, but I also want to invest in a new helmet and hans device, and those things aren't cheap either! (though a heck of a lot cheaper than treating a neck injury granted)

WhatsThatNoise
07-21-2006, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One advantage with the fine spline hub is that you can always stick the wheel on straight, with the hex hub most of the time, it's a compromise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea.....& a PITA......

If mine wasn't welded on, I'd toss it in the weeds.

aeronca65t
07-21-2006, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
..The big ticket items I still need to buy are the fuel cell, kirkey seats and 6-pt harnesses, followed by the PPE (suit, gloves, underwear, shoes, etc)...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd suggest you wait until the last minute to buy the belts. They are dated and are no good after the stamped date (recent SCCA rule...others like EMRA, NASA, etc are following this...but only for wheel-to-wheel racing, not time trials or autocross).
There are two styles of dated belts. "Normal" (good for two years) or "FIA" (good for five years). The FIA belts aren't that much more, so I'd go with them when you do buy.

RobSelina
07-21-2006, 11:40 AM
thanks for the info Nial, didn't know that!

Simon TR4a
07-21-2006, 04:44 PM
I tend to steer too much, which is not the same thing as oversteer(!), so a wheel less than 13 inches would be too small for me as it would amplify my arm movements.

Your results may depend on the number of turns lock-to-lock, and also your driving style.
I do agree a small wheel can help in a "save" situation, (that's not a relief pitcher in baseball.)

Simon.

RobSelina
07-21-2006, 04:58 PM
hopefully this 13" will work out okay.

I can tell you the stocker has me flailing my arms all over the place on a tight autocross track /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As far as steering technique, I'm really trying to get better at not 'steering too much' in understeer situations....

RobSelina
07-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Thought I'd post up a conclusion to this thread.

I installed the 13" wheel and hub adapter on Friday. I purchased a 5/8" shaft hub, but you actually want a 3/4" shaft hub (also offered from RPW). I had to drill mine to go over the shaft past the splines.

The hub is great, no complaints at all. Fits well, I got it very close to centered before welding. Comes on and off relatively easily while still giving a very positive feeling when engaged.

The wheel looks and feels fine, but it's dished and the benefit of the smaller wheel is negated by this. I'm tempted to flip it around so it's dished backwards. I might try this later in the week.

All in all, still very happy though!

zblu
08-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Use SAAS myself, altho I had to change out the flimsy steel frame and masonite backing plate to s/s 360 for all

jfslenes
08-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Awesome information on seats, steering wheels, and hubs. This long past Tiger driver is makes his list and checking it twice.

Rob from Socorro, hope we see you at Sandia for the August event. Street cars to race cars are invited.

RobSelina
08-09-2006, 12:30 PM
I've got the August 26th event on my calendar and intend to show up and at least see the fun and hopefully figure out some of the details of my build. Probably won't bring the MG though, no trailer (yet).

Monkeywrench
08-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Hey guys,

I've heard quite a few stories of Kirkey's breaking drivers ribs in wrecks, enough that I wouldn't use one. I've heard nothing but great things of Butler seats.

WhatsThatNoise
08-09-2006, 06:27 PM
I believe it....

Almost break my ribs just trying to get in and out.

RobSelina
08-10-2006, 10:35 AM
MW:

these butler seats sure do look nice, I like the shoulder protection in particular:

http://www.butlerbuilt.net/roadraceadvantage.html

no idea where you can buy them or how much they cost though....

Monkeywrench
08-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Rob,

You buy their seats from them. They have seats for everyone.. meaning some that are much less "sophisticated" for a few hundred bucks to what you see there. That seat is actually a two peice seat. Their 1 peice seats are a much more traditional looking. They do a lot of work for the big roundy round guys.. ala Nascar. They're good! Give 'em a call for prices.

For the mods; I'm not connected with Butler.. just passing on what I think is a good and safe product.