PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Wrap

GB1
06-07-2006, 07:38 PM
How do I apply it, tips, comments?

Is silicon sealant necessary afterwards?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

DrEntropy
06-07-2006, 08:41 PM
ACK!! What're ya doin' Patrick?!?! Is this a split in a pipe or a joint?

aeronca65t
06-07-2006, 08:42 PM
I have it on my car.
I'm not sure everyone likes this stuff since it is said to rust-out the header (my header seems unaffected by it in three years of use).

Since our cars have smaller headers, I'd use the 1" wide wrap (and not the wider stuff). I used stainless steel safety wire (about 0.030") to hold the wrap at the starting point and then wrapped around using about 3/8" overlap. I wrapped a piece of safety wire around it about every 6" and at the end of the wrap. I did not use a silicone seal....I think it would burn up in short order.

I haven't had to re-do it or tighten the wire...it seems to have held up well (though it looks a bit grungy at this point).

The nice thing about it on my car is that the header in under the carb, so it probably reduces the air temp near the carb (at least a little bit anyway). Cooler intake air adds power.
The bad thing is that the safety wire can be sharp, so be careful if you are reaching down near it or you'll rip your hands up (guess how I know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

DrEntropy
06-07-2006, 09:01 PM
The "silicone" thing had me a bit baffeled as well: it'll burn off. Re-enforce it with the stainless wire Nial suggests and it'll be there as long as possible. Just take his caution about the ends as a fundamental "truth." It'll leave tiny (shallow, long) but nasty cuts!

GB1
06-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks, gentlemen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It is a LCB header, I bought 50' of 1" inch from Summit- black. I have seen on Discovery Biker Build off and it was soaked first, is this right? How far down do I need to go?

Doc, luv ya, this is my play thing, gotta have one "toy" and why not a BE.

Thanks guys, please let me know if it should be soaked and clamps, Wraps, etc., and anything else I should know?

Patrick

DrEntropy
06-07-2006, 10:12 PM
"Soaked" sets it up to take a shape, clamps are "ideal" but wire works in the "odd" contours.

All that said: WHY are you doin' this? There have GOTTA be more elegant "fixes" for your application than this!

Hap Waldrop
06-08-2006, 07:47 AM
I use it on my race cars as well. I hold it on with a few S.S. hose clamps.

GB1
06-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Doc:

Quite simply because I can lol, the next resto's is a lock and washer detail.

The BE has always been my "appropriate lil play thing". 25 years with me and no Miata seats, no later gauges, still pos ground, etc. I try to keep her as orig as possible with some hot tweeks. The tape will be period with what already been done.

I promise you will like what I have done with her. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DrEntropy
06-09-2006, 08:18 AM
heh. So when do we get to see some pix?

GB1
06-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Doc:

Here he is before the resto. After we get done with this phase, I am hoping to get a week off and do it myself. My brother is coming in tomorrow to help finish the engine assembly. I have posted some pics before of the progress.

The mods were front suspension lowering and camber, rear suspension lowering, panhard bar. Engine - head, carb, intake, offset rockers etc. from APT.

Interesting surprise was that the lower end had already been lightened hummm.

GB1
06-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Sorry do the body work.

GB1
06-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Here he is now - engine compartment shot. Waiting for the lil beast to enter.

Patrick

GB1
06-09-2006, 08:58 PM
One more time

DrEntropy
06-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Nice 'n neat, Patrick. The hardtop and wheels are impressive too.

tony barnhill
06-10-2006, 10:12 AM
WOOO! That's BLUE!! What is is, MG Pageant Blue?

GB1
06-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks my friends!!!

The brake cover plate will be painted black (Jack's input)!

Tony, she was called Iris blue when colors had a name.

Great advise, great people who share my passion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

WhatsThatNoise
06-12-2006, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure everyone likes this stuff

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm waiting til they come out with the pants. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif