PDA

View Full Version : where can i race?

theinferno
06-03-2006, 10:01 PM
hey guys, as some of you know i am seriosly looking into racing. it will be a matter of months before my first duty station, and i could finally build my factory five spec racer. i already know about the ffr sanctioned stuff, but because of basic and tech school time constraints, i have not been able to research any further into the matter. my problem is i dont know what rules my vehicle would fall under, and where and when it could race under those rules.
i greatly appreciate your guys' input. i might have some free time tomarrow to reply /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

WhatsThatNoise
06-04-2006, 03:15 AM
**** of a first race car.....Are you sure you don't want to run something a bit more trashy?

Hap Waldrop
06-04-2006, 04:39 AM
NASA has a class for factory 5 Cobras. If you do not already have a comp license you'll have to go through thier schooling process to get one. IN SCCA it fall in a catch-all class like SPU, but ti would have have all the saftey item, approved roll cage, fire system, fuel cell etc.. With your car I would probably go the NASA route. Thier school starts you off in HPDE type setting, where instructor ride along with you.

theinferno
06-04-2006, 05:37 PM
thank you very mutch! but before i do that i was planning on entering either the skip barber or the bob bondurant schools. is this a good idea? or is there something better that you all would suggest?

Hap Waldrop
06-04-2006, 06:14 PM
If you feel your car is relaible, I would go the HPDE route, in these type of events, even street legal cars are welcome. The instructor starts off riding with you giving you pointers while on track, as you progress they sent you out by yourself. Passing is c ontrol type deal meaning normally only passing on the straights with a point by. This is the best way to get your feet wet and it not that expensive with your own car. Skippy school is a great way to go as well but more money as they provide the car. So it's a couple of thousands buck s a couple of hundred bucks. I just got back from Road Atlanta SCCA national today where during quiet hour 10-12, they had two HPDE 25 minute sessions for $75.00 a session, thats a heck of deal for someone wanting to get their first on track experience. I hope SCCA keep this program alive, great idea!

rtylerwinslow
06-13-2006, 12:03 AM
I just started running with NASA last weekend in Southern California. They are very nice group of people and there is more comradery than there is with SCCA (in my opinion). They have a pretty good FFR following in the area, they are less expensive to run with than SCCA, and if you go the HPDE route like someone suggested, you can ease into it instead of being thrown in there. After running a bit with SCCA, NASA seemed like a better way to go, at least for me. The schooling in less expensive and the track time isn't bad either. In one weekend the HPDE groups got 8 - 20 minute sessions. That is a fair amount of track time. Almost not enough time in between sessions to get things sorted out. Besides, they are at Buttonwillow or Willow Springs most of the year. That is just a hop, skip, and a jump for you.

Just my thoughts,

Tyler