PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite quotes about racing.

Simon TR4a
05-18-2006, 10:01 AM
I'll start; I heard Michael Waltrip say this on some Nascar programme on TV..."The problem with racing is that they always put the corners at the end of the straights where you're going so darn fast!"

A comment on the less than stellar career of Michael Andretti, not sure who said this, "Just because he"s from Nazareth doesn't mean he can walk on water".

And finally, Carroll Shelby, "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races."

Take it away...
Simon.

John Loftus
05-18-2006, 10:42 AM
"You win some, lose some, and wreck some." Dale Earnhardt Sr.

Eric
05-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Can't remember the driver, but this was in the Speed coverage of the SCCA Runoffs a few years back.

"I tried to outbrake him into the corner when I ran out of talent." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AlanT
05-18-2006, 12:30 PM
This one is from Jim Hall but it probably dates back even further. "How can you make a small fortune in racing?"

>>>>answer below<<<<

"Start with a large one"

aeronca65t
05-18-2006, 01:53 PM
"If everything is under control, you're going too slow."

Mario Andretti

billspohn
05-18-2006, 05:29 PM
I was running at Laguna one year and at the driver's meeting Steve Earle was giving us the usual talk about how one body to body contact would result in a season suspension.

One brave and imprudent driver spoke up and asked why Phil Hill (I think), who had been in a minor bit of body contact earlier in the season, wasn't banned for a year.

I was impressed by Steve, who responded without a pause "You get one free incident with every world championship..."

Bruce Bowker
05-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Al Unser Jr.

Dad taught me everything I know. Unfortunately, he didn't teach me everything he knows.

A. J. Foyt

I feel safer on a racetrack than I do on Houston 's freeways.

tony barnhill
05-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Murray Walker:

"The lead car is absolutely unique, except for the one behind it which is identical"

"... the lead is now 6.9 seconds. In fact it's just under 7 seconds."

"...and he's lost both right front tyres"

"...and Schumacher has just completed lap 77 out of 73"

"Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?"

"That's history. I say history because it happened in the past"

& there are many, many more...he's more fun than the races themselves!

Steve
05-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Graham Hill: "I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush."

Steve
05-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Graham Hill again, after a failed suspension part caused him to crash whilst in the lead on the last lap: "Yeah, it's a bugger isn't it?"

Very philosophical outlook.

AngliaGT
05-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Wasn't it Sterling Marlin (Nascar Driver),who said
(of his Chevy Monte Carlo)-
- "It's just like the car you can buy at your local Chevy dealers)?
Yeah - like you can buy a V8,RWD Monte Carlo!

- Doug

WhatsThatNoise
05-19-2006, 02:56 AM
Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines"
Enzo Ferrari

If you wait, all that happens is that you get older.
Mario Andretti

...and for all you lucky ladies out there, a racer will receive an additional ten points for every woman scored... and the race committee wishes to remind you all that any score is a good score!
Death Race 2000

Bugeye58
05-19-2006, 04:30 AM
"Racing is life. Anything else is just.........waiting."
Steve McQueen, the movie "LeMans."

"We had an electrical problem. When the rod came through the block it knocked the starter off."
Kas Kastner

Parker Johnstone, after a major crash at Elkhart lake, and being asked what was the first thing that went through his mind. "Well, for a minute I thought it was going to be a front suspension part."

Jeff

Joel Simmons
05-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Elva - I can't believe you just quoted "Death Race 2000."

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Joel

AngliaGT
05-20-2006, 12:57 AM
Parker Johnstone

Wow! I remember him when he worked for Bondurant Driving School.
We used him as the Guest Instructor at our annual
"Driver's School" Auto X.
The coolest part is ....he drove a Ford Fiesta!
Also brought his Fiance.We told him that if she still
wanted to marry him after that weekend,they'ed probably stay married!
Kind of like using a local car rally as a marriage test-
- if you're still talking afterwards....

- Doug

WhatsThatNoise
05-20-2006, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Elva - I can't believe you just quoted "Death Race 2000."

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

DrEntropy
05-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Chris Economaki stuffed a microphone in Senna's face after he'd DNF'd the Lotus and asked what happened... Senna replied in his Brazilian Portugese English: "The car, she is all ****-ED up!"

The censors didn't understand him 'till the cat was well-and-truly outta the bag. Economaki's facial reaction was hilarious. We were all fall-down laughing over that one.

Hap Waldrop
05-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Here's a few I heard over the years.

"The problem with the car is a loose nut behind the steering wheel"

David Hobbs: " he's all over him like a cheap suit"

Buddy Baker: "I think the driver got behind on his steering"

Richard Petty: "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity"

I saw this on a dash of a race car one time and thought it pretty much sums it all up.
"If it's meant to be, it's up to me"

JamesWilson
05-22-2006, 06:27 AM
If you want to go really fast in a big Healey, a drop of whisky always helped.

Timo Makinen

--------------------------

Nothing good has ever been reported about the full rotation of a race car about either its pitch or roll axis.

Carroll Smith

-------------------------------

Carburetor is a French word meaning 'leave it alone'.

Dick O'Kane

-------------------------------

...make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong -- look what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver.

Colin Chapman

hpmowog
05-22-2006, 07:58 AM
"Other sports beckon" - Skip Barber

(Regarding those drivers who just don't get it.)

rtylerwinslow
05-22-2006, 06:14 PM
I have no idea who said it, but my favorite is "There are only two sports; Mountaineering and Auto Racing. Everything else is just a game."

swift6
05-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Add bullfighting to the sports list and you have a quote by Earnest Hemingway.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

WhatsThatNoise
05-22-2006, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Other sports beckon" - Skip Barber

[/ QUOTE ]
Skip Barber & Carrol Smith are kind of rough on us 40 year old regional racers.

Watch out who your "nurfing".
WTN

Hap Waldrop
05-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Here's another good one I saw on a No Fear T-shirt,
"the older I get, the faster I was"

GB1
05-23-2006, 03:59 PM
I want you to be perfect, you have hit ever car out there except the pace car, so go out and hit the pace car.

Those are specially matched tires we put on you car.

Let me drive, I won't make a fool of you

Sorry, guess you know what I was watching last night.

GregW
05-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Days of Thunder.

RedBarchetta
06-26-2006, 11:35 PM
Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty.

- Peter Egan

Roger
06-27-2006, 04:41 PM
To finish first, first you must finish..
Andiamo Piano

Fangio

Simon TR4a
06-28-2006, 02:16 PM
I like the Peter Egan quote, I've heard people talk of the "go-fast crack pipe", actually I'm in withdrawal myself!
Simon.

RedBarchetta
06-29-2006, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the Peter Egan quote, I've heard people talk of the "go-fast crack pipe", actually I'm in withdrawal myself!
Simon.

[/ QUOTE ]The Peter Egan quote as well as "go-fast crack pipe" are commonly seen on a different forum I frequent that has a large population of club racers. Some people may know what I'm talking about. I'll forego mentioning the name as I'm not sure if that's copasetic here, but as a hint, they're known for their egos, smack downs and tech. Mainly their tech. It's not for everyone, but those who make it there tend to stick around.

BobSands
06-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Graham Hill (who must have been quite a character) when asked about the significance of a particular turn... "Why yes,...the significance of turn one, is to connect this straight, with that straight."

And, of course, not strictly racing related, but Raul Julia as he ripped off the rearview mirror of a Ferrari Daytona. "The first rule of Italian driving is,...what is behind you, does not matter!" From the "Gumball Rally".
Take care Bob

BobSands
06-29-2006, 01:51 PM
I LOVE quotes! Support people arrived at the edge of a Bonneville lake, to find Craig Breedlove, who had knocked down several telephone poles, and crashed at over 400 mph, sitting on the bank observing his submerged land speed car muttering, "For my next trick, I'll set myself on fire!"
And from last weeks "Wind Tunnel"... Jackie Stewart, a well known safety advocate was seeing his first Sprint Cars. He was appalled at the "death traps" he was observing. Some owner, sensing publicity advantages invited him to drive. Stewart said,"I'd love to but I left me helmet at the hotel. When assured they could find him a helmet, his retort was... Ah...left me balls there as well!
Take care Bob

jlaird
06-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Smoothness counts.