PDA

View Full Version : Center lock wheels

strangethursday
05-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Are the adapters for wire wheels strong enough to run something like Panasports on a track car that sees some street use? Say, I rn wire wheels on the street & some center locking race wheel for track. Actually I'm not sure if the splines would work or not. I'm very early in my thinking about this. Maybe I would need custom adapters

Matthew E. Herd
05-13-2006, 03:31 PM
I think special hubs would be a must, as (at least with spridgets) the wire wheel hubs aren't considered very strong.

strangethursday
05-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Any ideas where to look for custom hubs?

Matthew E. Herd
05-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Hmm, I'll think about it. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I know that the Rensselaer FSAE crew made their own centerlock hubs for their car last year, so I'm sure it can be done. However, finding someone who will do it for you might be another story. It's hard to say if someone is already making them for custom applications like LBC's.

Matthew E. Herd
05-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Oh yes, what car do you run wires on, and what car do you have centerlocks for?

aeronca65t
05-15-2006, 11:04 AM
For ordinary folks doing an occasional track day, I'd ditch the adaptors and use bolt-on wheels. One less thing to break.

strangethursday
05-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Sorry my car is a 79 Spitfire. Yeah maybe I shouldn't bother. Thanks every1

billspohn
05-15-2006, 02:47 PM
People can, and do run wires on TR-3 and TR-4s, and they use similar adaptors, but I'd agree, you want to eliminate possible problems in race cars, so using alloys would be the way to go.

strangethursday
05-15-2006, 05:56 PM
To be honest, theres just something about big lipped center mount Panasports that get me giddy. I know i can find the same thing with bolt-on fitment but, MAN ARE THEY SEXY!!! I originally was dreamin about them on my MK1 MR2 but, then I was wondering about the adapters for my Spit

WhatsThatNoise
05-16-2006, 06:03 AM
I like looks of center locks also.....(hub strength is something I know nothing about)

But, I think I'd safety wire them for racing.

billspohn
05-16-2006, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To be honest, theres just something about big lipped center mount Panasports that get me giddy. I know i can find the same thing with bolt-on fitment but, MAN ARE THEY SEXY!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Only problem is that they tend to be as heavy or even heavier than wires as the splined portion is invariably solid steel rather than sheet metal as on wire wheels.

Here's what you need - Campagnolo magnesiums! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/non-rhodo/lambowheel.jpg

billspohn
05-16-2006, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like looks of center locks also.....(hub strength is something I know nothing about)
But, I think I'd safety wire them for racing.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do, be very careful.

One year I showed up at Monterey to race and that year's 'thing' was wiring spinners (they had a different 'thing' in tech each year, I suppose arising from problems observed in the previous year's events).

Well I can tell you that when lockwire comes free - as it does when spinning at great speed, it will lash that absolute crap out of the paint around the wheelwell.....I think drilled spinners and some sort of locating lug for the other end on the wheel are in order.

WhatsThatNoise
05-17-2006, 05:48 AM
99.9% of the tech people are pretty laid back however....

Every year they have some new.......Soup de Jour???

Anyone know how to say "Thing of the Year" in French?
(Last year it was tow hooks for ITB)

WhatsThatNoise
05-17-2006, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Here's what you need - Campagnolo magnesiums! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Check out these magnesium wheels from Chapman.
I have been looking at the Elva ones for the last couple of years.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:ykaF...t=clnk&cd=6 (http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:ykaFwwZRvukJ:www.leechapmanracing.c om/wheel.htm+elva+magnesium+wheels&hl=en&gl=us&ct=cln k&cd=6)

DrEntropy
05-17-2006, 08:19 AM
OOOooohhh... four-lug "wobbly's"!!!

....SWMBO would murder me.

Anybody want my "stuff" after the fact?

strangethursday
05-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Whats the difference between "center lock", "Peg drive" & "Pin drive" ?

DrEntropy
05-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Center lock can be splined hubs (think typical wire wheels) or peg/pin-drive. Peg and pin are the reference to the locating device(s) to keep the wheel-to-hub connection. Center lock refers to the method of securing the wheel to the hub ("Knock-off" hubs, "spinners").

HTH!

...and welcome to the BCF!

WhatsThatNoise
05-17-2006, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OOOooohhh... four-lug "wobbly's"!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Ever see webs on an Elan?

Sure would be a perty thing to look at for those last few moments on earth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DrEntropy
05-17-2006, 03:55 PM
STOP THAT DAVE!!! You ~DO~ want my stuff, don't-cha!?!

DrEntropy
05-17-2006, 03:56 PM
I s'pose I'd be compelled to paint 'em yellow too... even on a Carnival red Elan they'd be reeely purty.

WhatsThatNoise
05-17-2006, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
STOP THAT DAVE!!! You ~DO~ want my stuff, don't-cha!?!

[/ QUOTE ]
Trade ya a DeLo fer da S-3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I s'pose I'd be compelled to paint 'em yellow too...

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't have much to consider there.....They wouldn't look right in any other color.

In my case, the Elva magnesium wheels were never painted.
I would have to let em tarnish.
(Or what they say.....Form a nice patina)

Hap Waldrop
05-20-2006, 08:58 AM
If you are looking for a Panasport looking wheel that offers center lock replacement for spoke wheels, Superlite is producing a spline drive wheel. One of the interesting things during testing of these wheels at Superlite was the MG hub kept failing the stress test.

DrEntropy
05-20-2006, 10:17 AM
Taht's kinda "telling". And kinda funny, too.