PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Sports Car Invitational - Laguna Seca

Joel Simmons
05-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Anyone going? I'll be there on Saturday for the qualifying races and for the Grand Am race. They're also having a Mazda MX-5 (sounds tougher than Miata) race this weekend.

I never pass up a race at Laguna Seca. Always good fun. The last race was the A1 Grand Prix of nations. VERY entertaining. However, it rained that day so I was unable to drive the Sprite.

So...this weekend will be the Sprite's virgin voyage onto hallowed ground (at least under my guidance). My Sprite is ugly as sin, but there's something so exciting about being able to drive my first sports car to a race at Laguna Seca.

Am I weird?

Joel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

aeronca65t
05-05-2006, 07:55 PM
....Am I weird?

Not at all!

I recall being super-excited driving my rusting and barely runable TR-3 all the way out to Bridghamton to see the the old Can-Am cars (in the '60s). And I can recall driving my '67 Sprite up to Watkins Glen and Lime Rock in the early 70s.
I still get goose bumps driving to the track, even in a mini-van (as long as I am towing #11).
Hope you have a great time!

Joel Simmons
05-06-2006, 03:45 AM
Thanks Nial. I'm sure we'll have a blast. I'm the same way, it doesn't matter what I'm driving to the track, but actually getting to drive my ugly little Sprite makes all the difference.

Joel

Joel Simmons
05-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Well, it was a great day at Laguna Seca. A bit chilly, but overall a lot of fun. The Daytona Prototypes were EXTREMELY loud. All of the cars were amazing. The #23 Ruby Tuesday Porsche took the poll for Sunday's race.

There was also a Historic Nascar Race which was interesting. I'm not much of a Nascar fan, but it was fun to see the old Skoal Bandit, Hotwheels and Miller High Life cars going around Laguna Seca. And can you believe it...they made it 30 minutes without incident!

Speaking of incidents...the Grand Am Grand Sport and Street Tuner classes had a **** of a time staying on the track (unfortunately we missed the earlier Grand Am Grand Touring race /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ). Now, don't think I'm no fan of Mustangs, but the way the new Mustang GT's handled on that track...good God. It seemed like every two laps there was a yellow flag because someone driving a Mustang lost control and slammed into someone else or the wall, etc. However, the field was full and I can understand with a lot of traffic and a heavy right foot things are bound to get squirrely. They started the field with 68 cars and finished with around 40. Bit of a high atrition rate.

I'd post some photos since I just got a digital camera...but I have no place to host them.

Joel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Joel Simmons
05-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Oh yeah...it was great trying to park the Sprite out in that field above turn 11. Next time I'm spending the extra $20 or so to park in the infield. I don't think Spridgets were made to go off-road.

Joel

aeronca65t
05-09-2006, 11:15 AM
I'd post some photos since I just got a digital camera...but I have no place to host them.

Two free photo hosting sites.

Both are similar.

http://photobucket.com/

http://www.flickr.com/

Joel Simmons
05-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks Nial, I'll check 'em out.

Joel Simmons
05-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Okay, I set up an account with Flickr, so let's see if this works.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41252262@N00/144400107/

Joel Simmons
05-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Hmmm...

Umm...well here's the link to the few photos I posted.

Some Car photos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41252262@N00/)

Joel Simmons
05-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Okay, it appears that link works. I'll post some more photos when I take 'em.

Joel

AngliaGT
05-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Cool car!(Sprite).

- Doug

Joel Simmons
05-12-2006, 09:34 PM
Thanks Doug! It's probably the ugliest Sprite on the forums here! That photo definitely hides some blemishes.

Joel

AngliaGT
05-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Hey,don't put it down too much - my TR6 is a "20 Foot" car- It looks good from 20 feet away.

- Doug

Joel Simmons
05-13-2006, 01:35 AM
Likewise!

Joel