PDA

View Full Version : Modern pistons for a 3-main B-series engine

mjamgb
03-18-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm rebuilding my 3-main MGB engine to go in a Magnette. I am going for smoooooth power and reliability. I want a modern piston/ring design rather than the monster lumps the factory supplied. Anyone have a source they really like or advice?
The engine will have several modifications for reliability including lightening, balancing and upgrading as necessary (I've done a few of these in the 5-main format).
No, 10,000 rpm isn't in the cards, just smoooth cruising. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

DrEntropy
03-18-2006, 01:30 PM
If you want to go with REALLY spiving jugs, Wiseco, in Mentor Ohio will MAKE 'em any way you want. Not cheap, but decidedly "custom."

mjamgb
03-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Ja, Arias, Keith Black, Ross, etc. will all do that, I was hoping someone has experience with "off the shelf" stuff that wasn't cast in India from the same molds used since I was born.

aeronca65t
03-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Try AE Pistons. A set around 9:1 comp ratio would be nice for a street car (but you can get higher). Here's one source that probably has them (but AE are pretty easy to find from various suppliers):

http://www.aptfast.com

DrEntropy
03-18-2006, 02:09 PM
AE seemed too "mundane", from the way I read the post... but they're all I've ever used in B engines. I got a set of jugs made for a V-12 Ferrari from the Mentor outfit, faster and cheaper than from It'ly.

Sorry for the gap in my understanding there, Mike!.

Dave Russell
03-18-2006, 02:17 PM
IMO, Deves makes about the best rings that you can get.
http://www.deves.com/about.html

As far as pistons, Venolia makes some of the strongest, lightest, most precise pistons that you can get. However, they are forged instead of cast & require a bit more cold clearance than cast pistons. After a very brief somewhat noisy warm up they are as quiet as any others. The price may not be that much more.
http://www.venolia.com/

I believe AE is a cast piston. Requires less cold clearance, is heavier, & not as strong. Maybe all that you need though.
D

03-18-2006, 02:31 PM
If you want to spend that sort of dough, get something made from a hyereutectic alloy, they are low expansion so you can still run the same piston:wall clearance as stock. That way you get the benefit of a forged piston, but no slap.

They are not exactly cheap though - mine ran about 2x the cost of a set of Hepolites, and because they were custom I ended up waiting 3 months for them.

WhatsThatNoise
03-19-2006, 05:09 AM
I have heard that hypereutectic pistons (>12.5% silicone) are very susceptible to detonation failure.

Any truth to that, or is it just Chicken Little talk?

03-19-2006, 11:47 AM
I've only ever heard of it being a problem for high boost turbo engines with poor detonation control. I doubt that that's what we are talking about here though.

mjamgb
03-20-2006, 12:07 PM
OK, so, is the consensus that ALL new pistons are of a new design (including 3-main units)? Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance but are the 3-main pistons actually different from the 5-main units other than wrist pin? Maybe It's not the issue I thought it was. I know the rods are two different flavors. If the wrist pin diameter is the same as the 5-main pistons then I should be able to use them?

trfourtune
03-21-2006, 11:52 AM
JE makes anything you want and they have a forged street stock alloy that has a lower expansion rate that is designed exactly for the hot,hottest, pump gas, street motors. those are what i am considering for my 10:1 comp triumph tr4.
rob

Matthew E. Herd
03-21-2006, 10:51 PM
If it's any interest, my pistons are JE forged (and it took forever to get them). But I am running a 1500 midget at 10.5:1 + CR and using Sunoco Ultra 94 with absolutely no problems. 93 Octane works fine in a pinch too. No problems with knocking, and the car really screams.

billspohn
03-22-2006, 10:34 PM
No, you can't run 5 main pistons in a 3 main engine. You need the correct wrist pins.

I LIKE the 3 main 1800 engines a lot. I've raced several cars with them.

mjamgb
03-23-2006, 02:01 PM
So, Bill, what pistons do you use and are you happy with them?

billspohn
03-24-2006, 11:30 PM
I have run AE (Hepolite) .080" over cast in my 3 main back-up 10.5:1 race engine and never had a problem. Great for the street too.

For the race engine (MGA Twincam) I use custom built Ross Racing forged as with 12:1 and a 7800 RPM red line, you don't want them coming apart on you. That's overkill even for a hot street engine though.

DrEntropy
03-25-2006, 08:18 AM
I've had NO problems with AE's in five main mills, even built some 10.5:1 "street" engines with 'em too.