PDA

View Full Version : Organizing threads into book?

JimLaney
06-13-2018, 10:04 PM
Basil,
For some time now I have been gathering books on restoration of vintage vehicles mostly to learn exactly how to work on my two MKIII Sprites. I get great help from members of the Spridigits forum if I ask the right question or make the right search. It seems to me that it would be possible to create a detailed "how to" book or wiki from these pieces of wisdom organized by tasks or subsystems. Is there a way to do this? Is any one other than I interested it such a project....or is that bad form?

Basil
06-14-2018, 03:10 AM
I would be an interesting undertaking but I suspect would required a good amount of work on someone's part.

JPSmit
06-14-2018, 04:26 PM
I would be an interesting undertaking but I suspect would required a good amount of work on someone's part.

Not necessarily - already you have a "show printable Version" as one of the thread tools - would only take a cut and paste to throw it in Word and format it.

JimLaney
06-14-2018, 05:54 PM
Looks like it still might take a good bit of time but cutting and pasting is far better than re-typing. Working from the premise that you put things in sections/piles then edit a few times... that might work but it is still a lot of hours staring at the screen....uggggh!

Basil
06-15-2018, 12:11 AM
Looks like it still might take a good bit of time but cutting and pasting is far better than re-typing. Working from the premise that you put things in sections/piles then edit a few times... that might work but it is still a lot of hours staring at the screen....uggggh!

There are over 186 thousand posts. The time consuming part would be reading through all of them and deciding which to clip out and past and also how to organize. Not as simple as just cutting and pasting - some thought has to go into it.

NutmegCT
06-15-2018, 06:09 AM
I tried JP's suggestion of "show printable version" - and discovered that photos aren't included. So downloading and fitting the photos would add even more time to the process.

eek

Hmmm - now that JP is all rested up after his seven week vacation, I nominate JP for the job!

JPSmit
06-15-2018, 09:07 AM
I tried JP's suggestion of "show printable version" - and discovered that photos aren't included. So downloading and fitting the photos would add even more time to the process.

eek

Hmmm - now that JP is all rested up after his seven week vacation, I nominate JP for the job!

Happy to!
After the Vauxhall is done
and the Multipla
And the basement
and the breezeway
and the back porch
and the front porch
and I have joined the procrastinators club
and
and
and
:grin:

JimLaney
06-15-2018, 10:10 AM
I searched for "organizing restoration". got a substantial thread, hit printable version and realized that the hardest part would be editing to condense... so much good stuff.

Basil
06-15-2018, 10:26 AM
I searched for "organizing restoration". got a substantial thread, hit printable version and realized that the hardest part would be editing to condense... so much good stuff.

With over 186 thousand posts in the Spridgets forum alone, it would be the editing, condensing and organizing that would be monumentally time-consuming I think.

JimLaney
06-15-2018, 01:51 PM
For a nube like me, it would be a great resource but it is more than I can take on or ask anyone else to do. I wonder if the Wiki software would be if any help? That is the way I have seen similar "guides" written up.
Does anyone on the BCF have any experience with Wiki?

Basil
06-16-2018, 04:13 PM
For a nube like me, it would be a great resource but it is more than I can take on or ask anyone else to do. I wonder if the Wiki software would be if any help? That is the way I have seen similar "guides" written up.
Does anyone on the BCF have any experience with Wiki?

Once upon a time, we had a Wiki installed but the problem was not enough people took the time to contribute to it to make it really viable.